Chapter 40

*MATURE CONTENT*

Word count: 3624

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Deidre was trying to fight off the dizziness that consumed because of Thomas' actions. And she was unable to pay attention to everyone's horrified gazes, knowing she would be in big trouble.

And yet, she did not mind it for some reason.

Thomas caught her easily when she stumbled backward, losing a hold of herself. And she had the urge to throw up, but held herself back, knowing it would worsen the situation. And her neck hurt like a bitch, tears stinging at the anguish.

And somehow, she found comfort in Thomas' arms. She found them the most consoling place in the world, not even furious with him for the mark.

"What did you do?" Fiona spat, her repulsion for him growing.

"Thomas, why don't we go—"

Thomas growled at his father, who had interfered, already aware of what he had planned. And he did not reconsider shifting into his wolf in the middle of the room, shrugging off the pain and suggesting Deidre on climbing on his back. And because of the tiredness, she quickly did so, clinging to his fur while her eyes shut.

Before anyone could dissent, Thomas' wolf had sprinted out the door. Deidre's eyes squinted at the strong wind brushing past, gripping to stop herself from falling off. For whatever reason, the coldness loosened the ache and she sighed in pure bliss. The miles they ran passed by in a blur and she inhaled the cold air, rubbing her hand on his belly.

Thomas took notice of her sleepiness, slowing down after he had reached a mountain top. He had been to this place a few times over the years, knowing they would be safe and secluded from everyone. And it had been a while, so they would have a hard time locating them, several miles from Deidre's house.

Vincent lowered on the grass, suggesting on her getting down. He stood by her side when it looked as if she was about to pass out. Deidre sat down on a rock a meter away, touching the mark on her neck, a sheer layer of blood coating it, wiping it away while he observed with hooded eyes. "What happened back there?"

Vincent crawled over to her, resting his snout on her thighs, blinking up at her with pity. His snout nuzzled to her stomach, licking it which had her giggling. Deidre ruffled his messy, soft fur, scratching the back of his ear.

"Thomas, we need to talk. Please."

Thomas shifted back into human form at her plea, not caring about his nakedness as he made his way over to her, crouching down in front. "It had to be done. I wanted to show them that they couldn't take you from me. I understand it doesn't make up for the pain I have caused, but I lost control. And Vincent was going crazy with thinking about what they would do and—"

Deidre cut him off with a kiss, cupping his face and pulling him in for a long, passionate kiss. Thomas' hands went to her waist, banding at the material of her dress. A squeal left her mouth after he had lifted her in his arms, hands going under her ass and walking to a dry land, laying her down on the ground. Her mouth quirked into a smile as he retreated, a pained look passing his face. "What's the matter, baby?"

Thomas' features softened at the nickname, not that it helped what was already going on downstairs. "You smell different now."

Her eyebrow lifted, insulted by his odd comment. "What?"

"No! I didn't mean it in a bad way," he shot out to defend himself. "Princess, what I mean is that the mark is affecting me and I cannot think straight. God, Deidre, what I am saying is that you smell too damn good."