Gorgeous

Rose

I quickly put a few clothes in a bag and got ready to leave. My heart was going a mile a minute and I questioned my decision.

Nate wouldn't betray me right?

But why not? I didn't know him that well. Maybe Cole had found him and bribed him. Maybe he was one of them all along, but the one possibility that scared me most of all was the possibility of him being captured by them and tortured. If that was the case, they wound find me in a matter of hours and it wasn't a good idea for both of us to be there.

My plan was to leave the town, find my parents and then deal with this, but something didn't sit right with me. I just felt guilty because I was leaving him.

He was always so gentle and so sweet and caring to me. He couldn't have been lying all along.

I opened the front door but bumped onto a hard chest. I knew it was him. His embrace gave me the same warm feeling everytime and I could smell his cologne which I'd grown to love for some odd reason.

He was embracing me. Something that was usually a little uncomfortable for him, but now he seemed as comfortable as ever.

"Don't leave" He whispered.

That sentence was enough to bring me back. If he wasn't captured by them, then he was one of them. I pushed him away and tried to get through the door but he wouldn't budge.

"Let me go!" I yelled at him.

"No! Not unless you let me explain first!" He said and held my wrists capturing my gaze. His inky black eyes looked so captivating and hypnotic. I couldn't look away, but I had to.

"Okay" I whispered. He led me to the couch closing the door behind him and we sat down.

"I promised I would do anything to get you out of this mess-"

"Are you one of them?" I asked not being able to hold back. I wanted to slap myself for interrupting him. I wasn't supposed to interrupt people, but oddly he didn't react to it.

"They think I am" He revealed shocking me. "Listen I've known Cole for years but he wasn't always a gang type of man. In fact me and my friend Ares, Serenity's husband, are part of the mafia. Ares is the boss and I am, well I am part of it. We are partners"

I couldn't process his words. I didn't know how to feel, all I knew was I was anxious to know more.

"We thought Cole wouldn't dare get into this, we were wrong. Now I convinced Cole that I am no longer Ares' partner and that I am on his side"

I paused for a bit and then tried to understand everything.

"Why?"

"To save you. To give him the lesson he deserves and save you. Listen, there is more to this but this is all I can tell you for now. I'm not forcing you to stay with me and trust me but please let me do this for you" he said holding my hand.

I looked at the floor and tried to make up my mind. All of a sudden, I felt his warm touch on face as he tilted it upwards.

"Hey look at me" He said gently. I obeyed and looked at him taking the chance to look at his sharp features. "You are safe with me. I promise"

For some reason I felt like I could trust him. I had nothing to lose now anyways. This was either the best or the worse decision of my life. I'd take the risk.

"Okay" I finally said. His face brightened up and he hugged me once again. I was getting used to physical contact with him. His touch was warm, gentle and caring, nothing like Cole's.

"You've no idea how happy you make me" He said which shocked both me and him. He usually wasn't really good with words, but I guess he spoke from his heart. "I feel much better now that you know about this" He smiled.

"Why didn't you tell me in the first place?" I asked.

"Because I didn't want you to freak out and I wanted you to just relax and let me handle it"

I nodded and smiled. He was so kind to me for no reason.

"Rosy, why did you call me?" He asked after a long pause.

"I-I didnt see you in the morning and I got really worried" I said feeling my face heat up.

"I'm sorry I got you so worried. It must have been terrifying to hear his voice again and feeling all the fear and making up scenarios. I can't imagine what you went through" He said.

"It's over now at least. I'm with you and I'm safe with you right?" I smiled and touched his arm.

"Of course Rosy" he chuckled. "Now I have to shower, that place smelled like actual crap" He said standing up.

"I know" I chuckled.

While he was in the shower I had the time to think and process what I'd just been told.

Nate wasn't the innocent person I thought he was, but he was still Nate right? He wasn't lying or at least he didn't seem to be lying. If he wasn't lying though, there was a possibility that he could get hurt because of me

Or even worse-

I shook my head not wanting to think of it, but I couldn't stop the images from coming to my mind. What they did to me, what they did to others. The screams I heard everynight.

There was no way I was letting Nate get into this because of me. He was genuinely kind and I was going to get him hurt. All I ever do is hurt people.

The time passed quicker than I thought with all these images in my mind and soon Nate was standing right in front of me. He was wearing light grey sweatpants and a dark blue t-shirt which complimented his eyes. His hair was still wet and he had his signature smirk on.

He plopped on the couch next to me with a sigh and looked at me.

He doesn't deserve to go through this because of me.

He was always so cheerful and happy. I'd hate to see that taken away from him. I wouldn't be able to live with myself after.

"What is it? You seem troubled" He pointed out.

"Nate I-I don't want you to go through this and get in danger because of me" I blurted out. His expression changed quickly. He looked taken aback.

"Rosy-" He said softly and touched my arm, "-I want to do this. I want you to feel safe again. I know you're never going to forget all the trauma but if I can at least make it better, I will"

"You're just so-so kind and sweet and I don't want anything to happen to you because of me, you don't deserve this"

To my surprise, he put both his hands on the sides of my face gently and looked straight at me. I looked down feeling myself getting embarrassed. He really was gorgeous.

"Rosy I am happy you care about me, but I am not sweet, I am not kind. You bring this out of me and if one of us deserves to get in trouble that's definitely me, not you in any way"

"But-"

"I'm going to do this even if it's the last thing I am going to do"

That sentence gave me shivers. Why was he so determined?

This can't be the last thing he's going to do, he can't-

"Just don't think about it" He whispered smiling.

"Be careful, please"

He chuckled and moved away from me, "Of course"