A scratched ego

Okay, back up

Okay, back up. Back all the way up. What the hell is happening?

Christian tried not to frown at the exchange between Kylie and Matthew who arrived this morning in hopes of catching up to the celebration. He did. Well, only several hours late but he made it. He's lucky their parents decided to stay half a day at the cabin before heading out.

"If my memory serves me right, I think you're Matthew Parkinson."

His brother chuckles. "Oh, right. I'm that guy."

"Yeah. The guy I'd never thought would remember me." She laughs softly, fiddling with the pocket of her overalls.

His gaze bounces between them. He is utterly confused where the snarky Kylie had gone. Hell, it was the first time he's seen her melted into a sweet, timid girl. She was giggling at everything his brother says, while Christian could only get a snarl every damn time he opens his mouth.

There's definitely an injustice to that.

Wait, is she...? Is she blushing?

It should have been entertaining to watch Kylie fawning over his brother and practically hanging onto his every word. This should be amusing knowing he has something else to dangle over her head and this will definitely gravel her.

Christian clears his throat. "How was your sleep, Kylie?"

She turns to him, realizing he was there. "It was fine," she answers flatly.

Matthew creases his brows. "I heard about a bear—"

"It was nothing." Kylie blurted, beaming at Matthew. "I think your mom is waving you over." She pointed over his shoulder, successfully dodging the subject.

"Oh. I better go back then." He smiles, nodding to the direction of their family crowding the dock.

Kylie wiggles her fingers at him and smiled back shyly. "Yeah. I'll see you around."

Matthew laughs softly. "I think you will. For now, enjoy my brother's company." He turns away, patting Christian's shoulder and headed to the dock.

She stared after him, motionless as if she was spellbound. Her frowns turned upside down. The thin line that were her lips turned into the sweetest smiles. She was blushing prettily at the words his brother has said like it was gold. Christian could only get eye-rolls. Maybe, a snarl at best.

Ignoring a tiny prick on his ego, the corner of his mouth lifted. "You're drooling."

Kylie blinks, the frown reappearing on her face. "I wasn't."

"Really?" He smirks. "I'll see you around." He bats his eyelashes, mimicking Kylie.

Her cheeks flushed, this time with irritation. "I didn't look like that."

"Oh, you definitely did."

She scowled. "Leave me alone."

"Okay." He shrugs lazily, pirouetting his feet to turn back to the dock. "I'll go ahead and tell my brother you're in love with him."