𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

𝚈𝙰𝚂𝙼𝙸𝙽
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Long nights at this house, Emenike's house. I had spent just a week in the US, and Emenike asked me to return to help out with specific projects. No should have been my answer because I didn't want to see Zara, but my business and plan for the change needed to move on.

After Ruchi whispered into my ear that she had spotted Zara, I looked up, and for a split second, my eyes narrowed down on her. Standing at the staircase, I see the one girl I've been yearning to see, even if I broke her heart. "Can I have a shot of whiskey," I told Ruchi.

My eyes didn't move away from her because I know she saw me. It wasn't easy to keep a calm expression while trying to get to where Zara stood. My pace dragged on as I stopped at the end of the staircase, staring at my best friend Titi talking to her, taking away her attention from me.

Since I got back, Titi knew I wanted to see Zara, never did I once imagine that she would be with her in my husband's house when the moment came. I was supposed to be the first person talking to her. Titi was so close to her, holding her hands as they both laughed.

My eyes narrowed in as I watched, and my teeth clenched involuntarily out of anger and jealousy. She's mine. I reminded myself. There's a hint of blush on her cheeks as Titi pushed back the hair covering part of Zara's face.

What the hell was Titi doing? We were in public, and she was trying to show affection to another woman? Was she crazy? This would make Zara a target. I checked my phone to see if Titi would have sent a message telling me Zara was here, no text.

A disturbing mix of emotions stirred inside of me, with questions ricocheting in my head. When did she get here? Who invited her? And why the hell was she with Titi and the other girl? Was the other girl her new girlfriend? The jealousy that crept up on me made me think of many ways to send my heels across the room, hitting Titi on her head. Next thing, Titi clinks her glass with Zara's, both smiling. No, no. I know Titi, she was not going after my girl. She wouldn't do that to me, neither would Zara.

The anger rises as I question why all this was happening. It doesn't matter because none of the questions running through my mind, mattered at this moment.

I strode towards them, hearing Zara's sweet laugh ring in my ears before I can even think straight. Titi was the first to see me, and the second her eyes reach mine, she leaves, nodding at me with a knowing grin.

My pulse quickens, but I control it all, forcing myself to calm down as I move behind her. With a soft smile on her lips, she turns over to see who was invading her space. All I could think of right now was that the whole god damn world had to pause until I knew how not to let go of her a second time. I wasn't letting her go, and it was time to fight.

Her gaze catches mine, and her breathing noticeably hitches. Her lips part and the glass in her hand nearly falls as her friend tries to hold her still from falling. I gave her a friend a nod, a nod to tell her to leave us alone.

"Let's take a walk to the balcony," I finally uttered.

At the balcony, she just stood there staring at me. Her lips parted, but no words came out. It takes a beat, a tick of a clock before she relaxes even the slightest. A nervous laugh escapes from her lips as she slowly takes a seat on the chair behind her.

I sat down beside her, the air instantly became hotter, at 9 pm.

Her brown eyes were deep enough to get lost in, but she was the one who looked like she was lost. I knew it would last for only a moment until her confidence sprung back up. "You are back," she finally asked.