𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

𝙴𝙿𝙸𝙻𝙾𝙶𝚄𝙴
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Seven months later...

"Breaking news," the reporter said over the tv while we were busy in the kitchen. "The Senate has made history in Nigeria. Today marks the beginning of joy for the LGBTQ in the country. Sen. Emenike passed a bill that supports only LGBTQ relationships but gives no room for nuptial vows. It had an overwhelming support from both major parties, which comes as a shock to Nigerians-we never expected this day to come. It is safe to say. Love is love-even in Nigeria."

I turned off the tv and screamed at the top of my lungs. "Yasmin, we did it!"

She ran into the kitchen with her phone, dancing. She had already gotten the news. "This is the best day of our lives, babe. I can now kiss you in public!" She came close with a kiss planted on my lips. "This smells good."

I let go of her as I continued with the jollof rice I was making. With a little touch of some parsley, the whole dish was ready. "It just needs some pepper and more garlic seasoning. I know how you love your garlic," I told her absently and then tasted it to be sure. "Ok, scratch that. It tastes so freaking delicious."

Yasmin chuckled. "There won't be any more rice left by the time the chicken is ready."

"Not my concern," I said, going for another spoon.

"I love doing this with you."

"Don't flatter yourself, but I love it too. It's nice to cook together, even if it is the only kind of date nights we have. It's fun, though." I slipped the spoon in my mouth, savoring the deliciousness in the rice.

"You can't help yourself, abi? The food is just screaming your name."

I stuck my tongue at her. "You don't get it, babe. It is freaking delicious. How many times have I said that?"

She laughed a little harder, kissing me on the cheek before I stole a kiss from her lips. "You are so adorable when you act like a baby. My baby," She uttered softly while looking at me in the right way. The way that made me feel like she could see everything I had on the inside and still love me. The bad parts that were craggy and quite dysfunctional.

I bit down on my bottom and took a deep breath. "So, about that big birthday bash..."

"What about it?" she asked, moving her attention back to the chicken and salad she was working on.

"I don't think we need to throw something huge. Maybe we can tune it down a bit?" I suggested. "Something small, with family and friends-and we don't get to spend too much."

"It's your birthday," she started before I could explain anything, "it can be small or big, whatever you want. Even if you change your mind, we can throw another party. It has to be the way you want it."

Her words meant so much to me and took me unawares. I knew she was doing her best to let me take control in some situations, but I thought she wanted to take the lead when it came to my birthday. "I thought you would have loved to take the lead since you have been announcing how you can't wait to surprise me."

"Who says I can't still surprise you?" She leaned close to me and kissed me, but cut it abruptly.

I wasn't done kissing you, girl.

"But, I am a little worried to tell you..." Yasmine doesn't look at me as she continued to speak, "Nena and your mother also have plans for your birthday-"

"Oh, my God! Nena can talk!" I cut him off and then covered my mouth with both hands when I realized myself.

"I knew it! You all were up to something. I just had to figure it out."