|[43]|

Erwin spoke to Hanji, Levi and Demian through the earpiece, Lillian and Mike beside him listening along, "Levi, Mike and Hanji will take care of the titans coming. We'll hold the female titan in place as long as we can, so work as fast as you can Demian." He was still getting used to talking talking to the others like this.

-------
Levi fired into the air and took care of the first approaching titans, Hanji and Mike soon following his lead with their squads. Lillian stood dutifully beside the commander as Demian worked on the explosions.

Just like he said the first hand had been blown off, and it didn't seem like it would regrow immediately. He worked on planting the second series of explosives around the other wrist although he struggled more due to the position.

Lillian was eager to fire off and help her friend although just looking at Erwin made her realize he wouldn't approve with it, needing her by his side as a tactician when it was needed.

Demian couldn't finish before the titans reached him, forcing him to retreat prematurely.

"Should I still set it off?" His annoyed voice came through the earpiece, he hated it when he couldn't finish a job.

Erwin looked at the titan who was being eaten alive by the other titans who had made their way over. He gave a signal to Demian with his hand to set the explosion off. He followed the orders, soon joining the other two on the branch to overlook the aftermath of what had happened.

Luca raised his eyebrow as the titans retreated from the front of the cave, something they had only done a couple of times so far. Luca had used these opportunities to get some fire wood from the outside and refill the water bottles in the small stream nearby.

They too heard the loud scream only seconds before that and realized this wasnt a coincidence.

"I'm going to go out, we need more firewood and I need to refill our bottles." Luca sighed at Arlo who nodded, helping him gather all their water containers.

"She'll find us soon, don't worry." Arlo smiled in attempt to give Luca some hope. He nodded as he swung the backpack on his back.

He set off, extra careful of his surroundings, not trusting the silence after that scream from before. Within ten minutes he reached the small stream, the water looked clear enough to drink and the speed it streamed over the rocks allowed him to believe it was safe enough to drink, even if it wasn't, he didn't have much of a choice.

It took him a slight while to fill everything, he kept a trained eye at his surroundings and listened carefully. The sound of the streaming water became easy to tune out eventually. He filled the bottles until he felt the water stream over his hand. He did it all on feeling, his eyes busy screening the area around him.

It had been years since he had seen a forest, let alone hunted in one, which he knew he would have to do if you didn't find him fast enough. He chuckled humorlessly, those years behind a desk hadn't done his skills any good, oh how right you had been that such job wasn't anything for you. Truth be told, it wasn't anything for him either, but he hadn't known that when he accepted. He grew up with the stories of glorious commanders leading the troops to the battleground, not old men spending years behind a desk slaving away at papers and online documents.

He was done filling the bottles, and he scavenged for some dry branches for firewood on his way back. The ache in his muscles reminding him of his current physical state.

It was insane to think about, he was the most fit commander your army had known for years yet he couldn't compare himself to the physical state he was in while in training. He tried to keep working out over the years, religiously he spent nights training although it was a sad excuse compared to when he was younger.