The Whispering Eye

“Kitten?”

Artemis gripped the door as the ship shuddered. He felt weird, letting Atharo fly his ship, but she knew how to dock on a larger ship. He didn’t.

Elias’ eyes glared out from his den, the neko’s tail flicking.

“We’re landing. Atharo wants all of us on the other ship until we get to Oyhaf.”

Grumbling quietly, Elias pulled himself out of his nest, sliding down the pole to the ground.

“Elias, you know we love you, right?” Artemis asked.

His hand fell on the neko’s shoulder, a gesture he hoped would comfort Elias. Silently, the cat shrugged the hand off, walking out of the room.

Artemis sighed, following Elias. The neko was worrying him. So he had a relapse. It happened. It was no reason to push both Reinard and himself away.

They entered the cockpit as Atharo shut the ship down. Elias stiffened visibly at the sight of the Xanar.

“Are you feeling better Elias?” Reinard asked, standing.

The neko shook his head, and Reinard looked at Artemis helplessly.

Artemis shrugged.

“Give it time,” he suggested.

The trio followed Atharo off the ship, Artemis looking around with interest. He had never been on a ship with its own docking bay. Even if there were only three other ships in the bay, it was still an impressive sight.

“Welcome aboard the Whispering Eye,” Atharo said.

Artemis bit back a snicker at the name, barely. It was immature of him, but all he could think about was an ass.

That got him thinking about Elias’ ass, and the tiger shook his head.

“Sorry,” he muttered.

Atharo beckoned to a waiting Xanar.

“Take Captain Artemis and his companions to their cabin. Captain, I would like you to remain in your cabin until I come to retrieve you. Your food will be brought to you.”

“Thank you,” Artemis saluted the colonel.

Atharo returned the salute and strode off.

“Follow me please Captain,” the Xanar said, walking away.

Elias sat quietly on the bed, staring at his tablet. Words sprawled across the screen, painting pictures in his mind of tigers chasing each other in the summer heats. His eyes still hurt when he stared at the screen for too long, but a little pain was worth not having to talk to Artemis or Reinard.

He was wrong, and he knew it. What he was doing was hurting the fox and the tiger, but he couldn’t help it. The neko didn’t want them to touch him and he couldn’t even explain why. He had bitten Reinard. What if it was worse next time?