|| Chapter Twenty ||

"You - You can't do that," I mumbled. My brain was unable to comprehend anything else happening around me.

Trent wanted to kill my mate.

He always wanted to kill Daniel, everyone did. This, on the other hand, was different. Before, he would say and suggest horrifying scenarios to overcome the dark cloud that had taken the form of my mate. Before, he would eagerly jump at any chance to curse Daniel, to mentally destroy him in his head. It didn't seem like his thoughts of a dead Daniel were enough. I knew what he wanted; it was the desire to see his thoughts become a reality. It was the desire to see Daniel truly dead.

Trent's furrowed his eyebrows as confusion crossed his features. "What do you mean I can't do that?"

Next to me, I heard Kayla let out a snort. Quickly, I turned my attention towards her, silently telling her to be quiet - well, I tried anyway.

"She has a soft spot for the killer," she said. Gritting my teeth together, I felt like a bomb that was about to explode. A part of me, the violent part of me, wanted to get my claws out and hurt her. However, I knew that it was only anger pushing those dangerous thoughts to the front of my mind and that I would never act upon them.

Trent blinked. That was the only action I noticed on his frozen figure. "What?"

Shaking my head, I forced a smile. "Kayla's joking. I just -" I stopped to think of something appropriate to finish my sentence with, "-think that's really dangerous, Trent. Daniel is really strong and you guys might..." I trailed off, not finishing the sentence. Trent knew what I was going to say anyway.

He smiled, bringing his hand up and waving away the worry that had consumed him. "Rose, this is not a small attack on Collins. This is not an attack between two packs while knowing what the outcome will be." He shook his head as the smile on his lips widened to a length I had never thought possible on Trent's face. "Over sixty packs are involved and determined to beat the guy that had caused us nightmares for the last few years. This is war, Rose. This is war. And I'm prepared to fight with every bone in my body until either one of us dies."

Just as I was about to reply, a young boy ran through the crowd - much like what I did a few minutes ago - until he spotted Trent in the corner. Quickly, he sprinted up to him and heaved a sigh.

"She's awake. The girl is awake."

*.*.

Trent found his mate.

It was no surprise to everyone that the girl Trent found and had the heart to even bring her into the pack in the first place was his one and only mate.

It took a few days for her to get accustomed to everything around her. The only person she wanted to be close to was Trent - for obvious reasons - and anyone else who tried to even start a conversation was either blanked or told to leave her alone. After a few failed trials, I concluded that she was either rude or too unstable to talk to me.

Trent however, never left her side. It was like she was the only thing he had eyes for. No matter how many times the doctors told him to leave her for a few moments on her own as she needed peace and rest, Trent would refuse to abandon his place beside her.

"Trent," I whispered. He was leaning against the bed, facing his mate, as they talked. They looked so happy that I almost felt guilty for interrupting their chatter - almost.

"Yeah," he answered without breaking eye contact with the tired looking girl on the bed.

"Is she alright?"