chapter 4: the truth

It's been about a week since i heard from him. it seemed like he really wanted nothing to do with me. my dad was still looking for them. every time there was a new lead they end up getting there to late. they were smart and vary talented. i walk out to the kitchen and see my dads partner John. he was sitting at the counter looking at papers. 

"Hello." i spoke and he jumped a little. 

"Ella. hey you scared me." he chuckled softly. i raise my eyebrow.

"obviously." i mumble and walk to the living room. i sit on the couch and listen to the silence in the house. why would Logan tell me he never wanted me to go back? was it because he's a criminal? did he not care about me? i need to see him to find out whats going on. why doesn't he want me around. i don't care if he's a criminal. i care about him. i want to be with him. i get up from the couch and grab my car keys. 

"Hey Ella?" i hear my dad yell for me from the kitchen. i walk over and see him and John getting ready to leave.

"yeah dad?" i asked and started to worry. 

"stay away from the mall could you? we got a tip that the thieves will be there." i look between them and then the pictures on the table. Logan, the girl that came out the building at the docks. and a few other people. my dad was going to catch them this time. i needed to warn Logan. 

"okay dad. I'll stay away." i say and run out the door. i get in my car and race down to the docks. i slam on the brakes and get out my car looking around. 

"LOGAN!" i yell. i get to the door at the building and try to open it but it was locked. 

"Shit. they already left." i run back to my car and race down to the mall. i park my car about a mile away in a parking lot of Walmart. i run as fast as i could to the mall and through the parking lot. i find Logan's car and hid behind a different car. Logan was standing next to an older man. he looked to be in his 50's. must be the boss. i needed to get Logan's attention. just as i was going to throw a rock at him another car pulled up in front of them. i couldn't tell what kind of car it was but it was black. i sneak down the fronts of the cars to get closer. when i get to where i can hear them i sneak to the back of a BMW and look around the corner.

"we have the car you asked for." Logan spoke first. "do you have the money?" i heard the man chuckle but i couldn't see his face.

"we want the car first." the man sounded old. he had a rough voice. it was quiet for a moment. then i heard the engine of a 1967 Impala. i backed up a little but there was no point. the car stopped right next to me. the driver right in front of me. i hold my breath as the person gets out. it's the woman. she shut the door and looked right at me. my heart stopped as her eyes widen. she looks away as fast as she saw me. Logan walked up to her and took the key's. she nodded her head slightly in my direction and he looked over seeing me. he swore under his breath and looked away. the woman stood there looking at the deal that was being made. 

"Hey." i whisper trying to get her attention. "you guys need to get out of here." she took a deep breath.

"Why?" she whispered pretending that i'm not there.

"Because the cops know your all here and there on there way. they will be here any second and they will trap you guys in. no one will be able to get out. they know what you all look like." her head swings to my direction. 

"how the hell do you know that?" she looked worried. and angry. 

"Please just get out of here. trust me please. just this once." she took a deep breath and looked at the others.

"Logan, Boss. we need to get out of here." she said looked at me. "you better not be screwing with us." i shock my head and watched Logan look to me as i peak around the car.  Logan switched with the man and they grabbed the car and sped off. the woman blocking me from them to see. after they left and stood up and looked at Logan who was watching me.