49. THE STUFF OF DREAMS

THE STUFF OF DREAMS

The water glistened under the timid sunshine, changing from grey to green with the ripples, white sparks reflecting the light here and there.

The Thames ran peaceful and undisturbed along the bank where a handful of people lazily strolled in the early morning air, wrapped in their winter coats.

"I think we should just do it," Alice said, halting her walk and leaning against the stone bannister, her sight lost on the other side of the river.

Riley joined her, standing behind her and placing his hands either side of her on the bannister, his lips gently brushing the top of her hair.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Alice nodded in response, covering his hands with hers; her cold touch made Riley's skin react, but he didn't move, incapable of breaking the moment.

"I mean, the party means nothing to me," she continued after a long silence and she looked up at Riley's face; her eyes were clear and honest, like the relaxed expression of her face. "I just want to be with you," she concluded, resting her head against the man's chest.

"So do I," Riley said, wrapping his arms around Alice's body and kissing her temple.

Alice smiled a true, joyful grin, then her expression became serious as her eyes wondered to the river again, pensive and heavy.

"I can't lose you again," she whimpered.

Riley held her tighter, covering the side of her face with kisses aimed to comfort the desperation in her voice.

"You didn't lose me," he said eventually. "I'm right here, Ally. Right here..."

The woman sighed then wriggled out of his embrace only to turn around and fix her big, expectant eyes on him. A gust of air blew a stray curl on her face and she brushed it away as a smile formed on her lips again.

"So we're doing it..." she said, her voice little more than a whisper of incredulity.

"Yes, Ally," Riley grinned back. "We are!" And their chuckles matched as their lips touched in a passionate kiss.

"Agh, you guys! Get a room..." The voice came from behind them, forcing the two to break their embrace.

Riley turned and couldn't help but smile as he saw the person who'd talked.

"Shut up, Noah," he said playfully, but as he looked at the man, his eyes filled with tears he seemed unable to contain. "I've missed you, mate."

Riley slowly became aware of his surroundings as his brain started to interact with reality.

He wanted to open his eyes but the mere thought of it felt like an insurmountable task so he kept them closed, concentrating on the sounds around him. A thunder then heavy rain against glass.

A dripping noise was coming from his left, barely audible but constant, almost unnerving. In the distance, there were hushed voices.

Every single sound was uniquely placed, laced together by a daunting silence thick like glue. But emerging over everything else was the evidence of his heartbeat, chiming in the rhythmical beeping of the machine, slow but steady.

He was in a hospital.

Riley attempted to open his eyes again, but they were just too heavy and he was too weak to contradict his own body.

Then a cold touch on his hand, soft and reassuring and under that protective hold, the sounds blended with the silence and he fell asleep again.

Riley didn't know how long he slept, it could have been days or minutes but when he woke nobody was holding his hand. He made another effort of opening his eyes and this time, his body allowed him to.