7. Makeover

-Sky-

-Sky-

The day had been amazing. It had been everything I could've wished for. Max had been so nice to me, and for a moment, I thought we were the only two people left in the world. Just the two of us, no one else.

And then my dream world came crashing down. I remembered the reality when he said he couldn't come camping with me every weekend.

The drive back to Max's home was agonizingly long, and we didn't speak much. I was mostly staring out of the window on my side, but still tried to say something every now and then.

"It was left from here, right, Max?" My dad spoke, and I snapped my head in his direction.

I hadn't paid much attention to our surroundings. I couldn't remember where Max lived, and I had no idea where we were, even though we had just been there a few hours ago. But I did remember his house, which was looming up ahead. I felt disappointed that my time with Max was over, but at the same time I was relieved, too.

I just wanted to go hide in my room and never come out again. I was too embarrassed of myself to be around people at that moment. I'd been acting like a little kid the whole day. Of course Max preferred spending his time with his mature friends, the ones he went to parties with, and talked about their relationships and sex and stuff, instead of the embarrassment that was me.

"This is it," Max spoke, and my dad stopped the car. "Thanks for the ride, Mr. Jenkins."

"Any time," Dad spoke with a smile, and I saw him looking at me with a hint of worry in his eyes.

I turned to look at Max and tried to smile at him. "I'll see you on Monday?"

"Sure," Max replied with a bigger smile. "We didn't decide on when we're going to start with the project."

"We can talk about it when we meet again," I said quietly.

"Okay, see you at school then," Max said, and got out of the car.

I waved at him slowly before he shut the door and started walking to his home. My dad waited for a moment before he started driving again.

"Is everything all right?" he asked worriedly. "Was he being mean to you?"

"No! Nothing like that," I hurried to say. "I'm just a little tired, that's all. I think I stayed in the sun for too long."

It was a lie, of course, but I didn't want him to worry over me. He was always worried about me. Freddy was far more outgoing than I was, and easy to make friends with. He was smarter too, and bigger, and liked sports, so he was the better son. I was a little kid. I was the one who still came home covered in mud and with a bleeding knee.

"Did you find the owls?" Dad asked after a while.

"We found their nest. Max helped me to see it! He built me stairs with some bales so I could climb high enough to look! I wish I would've brought my camera though..." I trailed off and sighed.