26. Blurted Out

-Sky-

-Sky-

I was sure my parents were suspecting something. I didn't tell them about what happened between Max and me, but every time someone mentioned Max in front of me, I blushed. Like, I turned completely red. No, even that was an understatement.

Anyhow, they asked awfully a lot of questions. Or then I was just being paranoid. I wanted to tell them about Max, but at the same time, I was worried about telling them. My parents always said that they didn't have anything against gay people – my mom's sister had a girlfriend – but I still wasn't feeling confident enough to tell them.

Maybe I was just scared that it didn't happen after all, that it had been just one marvelous dream. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Max Peterson liked me. No one had ever liked me more than just as a friend, and I wasn't even sure about that. And then the god of our school asked me out. And kissed me. Then slept right next to me. And kissed me again.

Those kinds of things didn't happen to me. I was a geeky nobody – guys like Max didn't even see guys like me. But, for some reason, he did. On that Monday morning, when he got on the bus, he saw me, and he never looked away.

I kind of lost myself when he walked to me and started talking to Troy. I didn't pay much attention to their conversation – I lost my mind every time those brown and blue eyes were staring at me – so I didn't understand when he said that the seat didn't have his name on it.

I guess it was an inside joke, because Troy seemed to know what he was talking about.

"So, fawns?" Troy smirked. "That's the interesting part of your camping trip?"

"Yup," I smiled at him.

"All right then, I hear you," Troy chuckled.

There was something in his eyes when he said that. I wasn't sure if he was mocking me or not. I knew fawns weren't interesting or anything to someone who wasn't, well, me, and he clearly didn't think that our trip had been fun. He must have been bored when he listened to me babbling about the trip before Max had arrived.

I turned to look out of the window to hide my embarrassing face. I could feel Max's hand touching my leg short, but I didn't turn to look at him. My good mood was gone, and I felt stupid.

And then I realized it was I that had Max's name on it. That was what they meant! Troy had figured it out immediately, and that was why he had been smirking at us!

If I had felt stupid before, now I felt like a complete moron. And then the fact that Max was referring to me as his own hit me. I kind of lost my mind. Again.

I snapped my head towards Max and without thinking straight, I said loudly, "You're mine, too!"

There was silence all around us. I could hear the silence. I knew they were all looking at me with wide eyes, including Max. I froze. I froze so badly I couldn't even breathe anymore. I had really screwed up this time. Max had specifically asked that I wouldn't tell anyone about us.