65. Something Positive

-Troy-

-Troy-

Later that evening, Sky lit up the campfire so we could eat something. We'd brought a huge amount of different kinds of food and marshmallows and sodas with us, so we weren't going to run out of things to eat that day.

I knew I was probably being really lame, since I found it exciting to stab a sausage with a stick and dangle it over the fire for a couple of minutes. I had never been camping before, so everything was new to me. The rest of us were being pretty loud and having fun, but Luke was silent most of the time. He let out a chuckle now and then, so I assumed he was having fun.

Once we all had our stomachs full, he suddenly started getting up from the ground.

"I'll go take Bella for a short walk."

I turned to look at him, now up on his feet. "Why?" I asked before I could stop myself. The second that question slipped out of my mouth, I realized that Luke probably needed some time alone.

"I don't want to step in her shit," Luke shrugged, and grabbed Bella's leash. "She'll do it here if I don't take her for a walk."

"O-Oh..." I chuckled and stood up, too. "Do you want company?"

"If it's only you, then yes," Luke said with a smile.

"Rude," Max retorted, but he seemed way too comfortable sitting next to the log, leaning on Sky's shoulder, to actually want to come with us.

"He's too hyper," Luke said, pointing at Sky, "I need a break."

Sky just laughed at his words. I couldn't understand why Sky never got offended by the things Luke occasionally blurted out.

"What's so funny?" Max asked.

"That was exactly what a wolf would say," Sky grinned, and I could tell Max and Luke were just as lost as I was.

"And how would you know what a wolf would say?" I asked. I really was curious because Sky knew so much about animals, and I knew he had a logical answer.

"Have you ever seen dogs playing, and then, all of a sudden, the other one bites his mate harder to make them stop and go away?" Sky asked.

"I don't bite!" Luke exclaimed.

"It's their way of saying, you are being too hyper, and I need a break," Sky continued. "It's also a way for older dogs – for all animals – to inform the younger ones that they are crossing boundaries."

"Could you please inform him I'm not a wolf?" Luke asked me before he started walking toward the forest. "Or do I need to bite?" He added with a raised voice.

"Don't worry – he likes being referred to as a wolf," I whispered to Sky, before I ran after Luke.

Bella barked at me in excitement when I caught up with them. Luke looked at me with squinted eyes, but I just petted his head. He shoved my hand away with an annoyed grunt.