Countdown

To @honourcrown Thank you for voting and reading. (ಥ﹏ಥ)  Here is a flower for you (◕‿◕)ノ✿

- Five days till the ceremony -

I sat on the desk, twirling the pencil between my fingers. I made a rough sketch of the buildings we had seen when I was outside and marked the only exit with a big cross. If I wanted to get out of here, I needed to think every aspect of the plan through. I wasn't going up against normal people, I was running away from animals in a sense. Predators.

I drew a mind map, glad of my meticulous personality as I highlighted every way possible out of here. There weren't that many.

I sighed. There were five days left till this ceremony. I had to avoid it at all costs but considering my circumstances, it was becoming more and more improbable. The security was tight around here. Every time I looked out of the window, I would see guards patrolling, disappearing in and out of the forest. Then there was Jacob who remained within a metre of my door, even at night. Somehow, every time I even thought about trying to unlock the door, he would release a warning growl.

They couldn't read minds too, could they?

I opened up a paper titled 'Questions to ask Amara' and added to the ever-growing list of things I wanted to know. But to ask those questions, I needed a chance to see her again.

I began to write some more when suddenly, there was a loud knock on my door.

"The Alpha wants to see you", Jacob grunted. "Come out within five minutes or I'll drag you out with whatever you're wearing".

I scrambled up quickly because he would actually do that and assessed the room. I had to hide these papers - especially the escape ones.

What's the one place that no one will ever check?

I would have thought amongst my bras, but I didn't trust Mikhail to not go through it. Everything else seemed really obvious like under the mattress or in the rug. Could they smell paper somehow and notice it?

I glanced upwards at the light fixture. Bingo. I picked up the chair and placed it down softly underneath the overhead light. I folded it, then tucked it into the casing and observed it from all angles. It was barely noticeable, I noted, smugly. I placed that chair back where it came from and headed to the bathroom where I washed my hands furiously in the floral body wash, spreading the scent on my neck and arms. It was better than nothing.

I opened the door and left, Jacob quietly leading me to Mikhail's office.

"Do you know why Mikhail wants to see me?" I asked, worried.

"The Alpha will tell you when you get there", he said, emphasising on 'Alpha'. I ignored him. He wasn't my 'Alpha', so I didn't need to give him any kind of respect. Jacob knocked on the door and then told me to go in.

Mikhail stood by the window, swirling a glass with some sort of amber-coloured beverage in it. He looked at me briefly as I came in but otherwise ignored me.

I stood there impatiently, tapping my foot to get his attention. "What did you call me for?" I asked, impolitely.

"What's the rush?" He asked, smirking. "You and I, we have forever. Can't I enjoy your company?"

"No, you can't", I said, angrily. I couldn't help it. Even though I knew he liked to provoke me, I struggled in restraining my anger. "You know very well I don't want anything to do with this".