Falling

This is for @DikshaAgarwal040 (I updated because of you :)

I had to be hallucinating. I pinched myself a few times just so I knew I wasn't dreaming. The bat just lay in front of me, almost mockingly at my shock. I scrambled back away from it and tried to piece my thoughts together. There was no way that nightmare from last night was true, it just didn't make sense. I would also be dead if that was the case. Maybe I had sleepwalked in my dream. I had a history of sleep talking and I remember this case study from university, where this patient had such severe dreams that she would sleepwalk, and last night was pretty vivid.

I sighed.

"Think logically, there is literally no reason to be scared", I whispered to myself. This wasn't like me. I was normally a composed person but now, ever since I moved here. I felt as though I was jumping in fear every five seconds.

I picked myself up from the floor and headed to the bathroom to get ready. Even as I had a hot shower, the uneasy feeling wouldn't go. I trudged downstairs ready for the day, to see an expectant KK pawing at her food bowl. Oh gosh, she was so freaking adorable.

"You're literally everything I need, you will protect me won't you?" I said as poured out her food.

She purred at me which I hoped was a yes and began inhaling her food. I stroked her a few times - more for my comfort - then headed out of the door.

I strode across the driveway and towards my car when suddenly, I hear my name being yelled.

"Arya!?! look up here", Karl was sticking his head out of the top floor window and was waving frantically.

I waved back. Wow, his enthusiasm sure was contagious. I could already feel my mood perk up a little.

"So, I was wondering if you were free today?" he yelled.

"Yeah, I should be free after two, why?"

"I think it's time you learn how to ride a horse", he shouted.

"I kind of already know, but it's been a while", I shouted back. "Where should we meet up?"

"Meet me at my dad's pub at half-past two okay?"

"That's fine, I'll catch you later, otherwise I'll be running late".

He waved one more time and went back inside, so I headed to my car and just sat there. My cheeks felt strangely warm and my heart was beating a little fast. Yeah, I'm just going to pretend that my heart wasn't acting up.

I brushed those feelings aside and continued on my way to work. After checking in through all that very frustrating security, I sat down in my office and waited for my schedule to be emailed by the wardens.

Ping.

There we go, who knew working would be so fun. I sighed and flicked through my emails. The only silver lining to my very grey, stormy cloud was that I didn't have to see Jessica or Lily or whoever she was would be. According to my email, she had a relapse and was refusing to take her drugs and 'was a danger to all members of staff' which even though it was bad news, it had me doing a mental happy dance. All I had to do today is watch a senior therapist review patients and meet with two low-level patients. I gathered my stuff, put a smile on my face and walked out to my first session.

____

Despite how small my schedule was, I just wanted to cry and sleep and I would have if it wasn't for Karl messaging me to remind me about the horse riding session. I left work, early (and illegally) and drove to the town square where Karl was already waiting, leaning against one of the shop's wall. As soon as he saw me, he perked up and smiled a big smile that wormed its way into my heart. The sun was shining directly on his face and he just seemed to glow in the light. He headed to my car and rapped on the window. As I wound the window down, he flicked his hair back dramatically.