Chapter Ten: I'm sorry

I enter the house with a heavy sigh. Much to my surprise, the nurses aren't in the office. I struggle up the stairs, my whole body throbbing. If possible tonight seemed even worse than normal. I had to work both jobs again so I've been gone all day. And after yesterday, seeing the panic in Johnny's eyes. It's all I've been able to think about all day.

"Hey..." My eyes fly to Johnny's room. He gives me a weak smile before closing his eyes again.

"Hey." I quickly rush into the room, kneeling beside his bed.

"Where have you been all day?" He says with another weak smile.

"Work, paying your bills." I giggle, carefully kissing his hand. As I do I push the call light to let the nurse know he is awake. I'm not sure where they are but hopefully, they will see it.

"What happened?" He asks, his voice thick with pain.

"You were in a car accident."

"How long have I been out?" He asks, struggling to look around him.

"Five months." His eyes snap back to me as surprise covers his face.

"They told me if you didn't wake up after two months you wouldn't wake up. I told them to fuck off." I giggle, earning a chuckle. However, it obviously hurts him to laugh.

"Sorry, I'll try not to make you laugh again." I kiss his hand again, smiling when his thumb strokes my lip.

"I missed your birthday." He sighs as he strokes my lip.

"That's okay. This is the best birthday present I could ask for." I purr, kissing his hand again.

"Why is my hand getting all the kisses?" He pouts, attempting to pull me towards him. However, he doesn't have the strength.

"It will be your birthday in a month. I have big plans for it. No dying until then." I giggle, stretching across the large bed to kiss him. The machine next to him beeps as his heart-rate picks up. However, it's not dangerously high.

"Now, now, enough of that." Vicky laughs as she comes into the room. With one look at her, I can tell she had been in the kitchen. She still has her apron on.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Johnny chuckles as I pull away, followed by a hiss of pain.

"Trying to keep you alive." She purrs, looking over the equipment.

"How'd I get so lucky?" He purrs with a soft whimper.

"She was first to apply. One of three nurses taking shifts watching over you." I smile as I watch her look him over.

"How long until I can get out of bed?" Johnny asks as she looks him over.

"Take it slow. We will start with trips to the bathroom. When you can do that fine we will increase the movement. Your body has gotten weak while you have been unconscious." She mutters before turning to me.

"I'm going to remove the catheter. Do you want to stay or go?"

"Oh, no...." Johnny mutters, covering his face with an arm.

"Do you want me to stay or go?" I giggle as I watch him. I've missed him so much. If possible I think he is cuter than I remember, when he is awake. He holds out his other hand, wiggling his fingers when I don't grab it right away. I giggle again and take his hand. He squeezes my hand firmly as Vicky removes the catheter.

"God I hate those..." He mutters with a growl.

"Your urine might be slightly bloody for the first few times. Do you want to try to walk to the bathroom now or wait?"