2 | Peach soda skies

— THE SKY WAS THE COLOUR OF PEACHES

THE SKY WAS THE COLOUR OF PEACHES. Not like fresh peaches though; more like when they're almost off, all squishy and sweet, balanced right on the edge of ripe and rotten. It must've been about 5am, the usual rising time.

Blue didn't exactly jolt awake, more like he startled into consciousness. The side of his face was pressed into the thin grass and it itched, tickling his nose in a way that made him almost sneeze and causing red lines to mark his already confusing two-toned skin. He blinked sluggishly and rolled, gazing up at the sky for a moment and sighing happily.

There's sky everywhere, right? He offhandedly wondered in his half asleep haze - until a black-clad figure appeared above him. His mind and face remained blank until he clocked the frowning Dauntless hovering over him and snapped to attention, sitting upright and for the first time noticing that Leander was almost entirely on top of him. By some miracle (it's 5am, so not really) the other teen remained asleep, slumped over in Blue's lap with his head tucked over his friend's shoulder, snoring lightly and mumbling incoherently.

He debated shoving his friend awake as the Dauntless hovered over them tapping his foot impatiently, but features humoured all the same. Instead he mumbled a confused hello, acting as if the Dauntless member was the strange one in this situation. The man laughed, adjusting the long firearm across his back and nodding a hello to the drowsy pair. Leander yawned awake and blinked, pulling off his friend's lap and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "I swear I heard a voice-" he grumbled almost to himself, jumping out of his skin when he too noticed the Dauntless with a yelp.

The ever-chirpy teen stuck his hand out as a hello, and the Dauntless man looked at it for a moment before performing a one-sided version of one of those handshakes, he clasped the hand and bumped their shoulders together. It was fair to say that while Blue was sleepily befuddled, Leander was practically sparkling, grinning ear-to-ear as he thanked the Dauntless member for checking on them and waving an energetic goodbye. Blue stumbled to his feet and joined the waving shyly, still a little out of it as he tried to remember how on Earth he had gotten in the field. The Dauntless waved back, jogging to a group of other lingering black-clad people. The train had stopped entirely, and there were maybe thirty Dauntless mulling about. He ran a hand through his sun-bleached hair, pulling out stray pieces of grass as he waited for Leander to collect their empty bottles. "Why're they here?" He asked in his usual lazy but soft tone. Leander gave him a look as if to say 'are you really that stupid?'  before slowly annunciating the words, "They're here to guide us to the Testing Centre, duh."

"What?" The raven-haired teen sighed in exasperation, "C'mon man it happens every year. Loads of Amity haven't really been in the city and it's not like we have enough transportation for all sixty of us so-"

Blue choked on air for a moment, "That's today? Crap! That's today!" And he bolted through the fields, leaving a yelling Leander behind and disappearing in the tall crops of perfect corn, doing an impressive job at not crushing any of them with his broad frame. He had to get back before his family noticed he was gone, not that they'd be mad... okay correction, he had to get back so he could take a shower and eat something other than the leaves currently smacking him in the face before leaving for central Chicago.