PART TWO

Date: D:09 M:07 Y:2366            INTERVIEW WITH E2

            INTERVIEW WITH E2.

E2: [REDACTED] VALKYRIE
            PLACED IN: Erudite.
            TRANSFERRED INTO: Amity [Date: D:30 M:06 Y:2362]
            TRANSFERRED IN: 2350 [candidate age at transference: 6, successful].
            CURRENT AGE: 22
            DIVERGENCE 90% [5% increase since initial transfer]
            FURTHER NOTES: E2 seems much healthier than she did in our last biannual check up. Although she continues to display irrational, unpredictable fluxes in emotion, she is physically well and has consistently submitted the names of any suspected Divergents. During her time in Amity, E2 has intervened with any law enforcement in order to protect these subjects with little trouble. E2 is now married, and today apparently marks the second birthday of her first child. Now settled, E2 shows little indication of swaying loyalties, much preferring to maintain her small family unit. She has fallen out of contact with her adoptee family in Erudite, as we'd hoped, and for protection purposes, has lost all connection with E3, E6, and E7. It should be noted that, not including the aforementioned candidates, E1 — E10 have all been terminated. It seems E2 will no longer be a problem for us, unless her husband and child are threatened. She is subdued, for now. Still, I will keep her on moderate surveillance. She is, perhaps, a little too attached to her life in the Chicago District. The danger has not yet passed.

            START OF INTERVIEW: LOCATION, PORT NO. 7

            [E2]: Hello again, Director. *E2 sits down. Her child coos from her lap.*
            [DI32]: Hello, E2. Tea? *E2 nods. DI32 stands to brew tea.* And who is this you've bought with you today, E2? Highly unorthodox of you.
            [E2]: Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you would've known of him from surveillance. This is my little boy, Vega. *The child laughs at the sound of his name, waving his arms. E2 kisses his head and accepts the cup given to her.* I just couldn't bear to leave him at home on his birthday, I hope you don't mind.

*DI32 shakes her head, smiling, and takes her seat. The reading from the electrodes on both mother and child reads 90%.*

            [DI32]: Its quite alright. Tell me about Amity. About your husband, even. Have you noticed anything... amiss?
            [E2]: I— no. Should I? *E2 ruffles her son's hair and sighs wearily. The babe yawns.* Amity is peaceful and Divergents seem few and far between these days. I took a job in the kindergarten in hopes of catching them early, but the tests seem to each come back at 0%, as if I'm being blocked. Young children are hardly entirely inconclusive, in that sense. They have yet to grow into their genetic characteristics and often have a purity of at least 5-10%.

*The babe screeches, losing balance and toppling onto the couch cushions. He giggles and E2 bolts to catch him, overly worried. DI32 raises a brow and discreetly writes in her notebook.*

            [E2]: I'm beginning to think it may be the Amity-assigned meals. We always knew there was a peace serum in the bread at the main communal hall. But lately I worry about the schools, the water supplies. Peace Serum is harmless, but with the results of such young children, I worry that the dosage may have increased, or perhaps it has been tampered with. My son seems unaffected, but that could be because he has rarely consumed food I or his father haven't grown ourselves. *E2 shudders, appearing concerned.* There is something quite sinister — the way Amity people are controlled, it's— it's eerie.
            [DI32]: E2, it is hardly your problem, the condition of an entire faction. But, your concerns may be stemmed from a true issue. Thank you for sharing your worries, I will ensure that Surveillance inspects the condition of the water and food. If Amity is being swayed as much as you believe, we will perhaps contact you with an intervention assignment.
            [E2]: Okay, Director.

*The child's reading increases to 91%, unbeknownst to both E2 and DI32.*

            [DI32]: Now, I must ask, have you had any contact with your fellow Insiders? *E2 shakes her head.* Not even your sister?

*E2 looks down, discarding her drink. DI32 removes her glasses, motioning to E2's increasing heart rate. She is clearly guilty.*

            [DI32]: E2, you know it is dangerous for the two of you to have any sort of contact. I understand that Amity is a tight-knit community, but this cannot happen again. You wouldn't want to endanger anyone. Like Vega, perhaps? He is a child, defenceless. You know the consequences of breaking such rules.
            [E2}: *E2 flinches and looks up. She is clearly enraged, clenching her jaw.* Don't you dare touch my boy, Director. One hair misplaced and I won't hesitate to reveal this entire ploy to the first Candor I find. *E2 stands, tearing off the electrodes. The babe begins to whimper, startled awake from the movement.* I will do as told, permitting that you hold the same liberty. Thank you for your time, Director.
            [DI32}: *The door closes. DI32 is left alone.* Note that down, G3. It seems that E2 is a little more volatile than we thought.

*In the distance, a baby cries.*

            END OF INTERVIEW.

                    "DO YOU LOVE ME?"
TOBIAS DOES NOTHING. BREATHES.
                                    "ALWAYS."
VEGA CRIES. THAT IS ENOUGH.