4 | Peace in Pain

— BELONGING WAS IMPORTANT

BELONGING WAS IMPORTANT. Being a part of a community was important. In theory, it should be a blessing that he had the capability to be a part of more than one. Didn't his fitting into four factions rather than one make him a more well-rounded person? Having the qualities of all four, kindness, bravery, intelligence, selflessness. They were good things. But that was all in theory. In reality, his diversity of personality could get him killed. Or more accurately, he'd vanish, like Blue and his divergence had never existed.

When he arrived home Harley was waiting on the porch for him, face heavy like he had terrible news to deliver. "Can we go to the wall?" He'd asked, closing his notebook and placing it on top of a textbook. They both went in a book bag that he slung around his shoulder, and it was obvious that Blue could only agree.

Wordlessly, he sat down against the wall and flipped through his notebook. They were at the furthest point from the Amity compound while simultaneously being in the emptiest, least guarded point of the wall they could find. Of course, Harley was the person most likely to know these places.

"You're Divergent, aren't you." The flat tone of his voice meant that it was no question, and Blue blanched. Harley had known before he had.

"I suspected that maybe you were." The fourteen-year-old smiled a little at Blue's gormless expression. "It runs in our family, actually." He turned the notebook to Blue. The page was an index of the rest of the book. It read:

Divergence Study - by Harley Joyce
i. Definition
ii. Signs
iii. Purpose
iv. Estrella Joyce
v. Vega Alder (Blue)
vi. Oscar Joyce
vii. Miles Joyce

"I'm not going to tell anyone, Blue. I know it's dangerous to be Divergent." Blue simply nodded along, sending Harley a look that clearly said "Elaborate?" He cheerily complied.

"I'm not Divergent, I don't think. Oscar definitely isn't normal, though. Well, actually I don't think he particularly fits into any of the factions. He could easily adapt to, say, Candor, maybe Dauntless, but he doesn't really have the qualities of any. He'd be better off staying here, really. I think my mum and yours were Divergent, that's where we get it from. Miles is too, he fits into Candor, Amity, and Dauntless. But you..." Harley looked up at Blue, eyes sparking with genius and excitement, like he was looking at a particularly interesting specimen he couldn't wait to get under a microscope.

"You're nearly 100%. I think you must be at about 85% or up right now, but the qualities of the factions can be learned. I don't quite understand why most people seem to have a particularly dominant trait but, that's besides the point."

Harley looked up at the sky, the wall's spires stabbing intrusively into the pinking sky. His mouth twisted into a sneer of distaste. "The point is, I think divergence is good. Important, even. I think that divergence can lead to harmony between factions. Having people that belong to more than one is vital." Harley took the book from Blue's hands, where they had stayed frozen on the index page. He flipped to the back.