22 | DEN OF COYOTES

NAYLAN

The rest of Sunday in Georgiou's place had been less awkward than I had thought. Mavis and Leigh were already close, and Georgiou tended to go along with his wife, so he took a liking to Mavis too.

We did the thigh thing again in the shower the next morning. I didn't know my face could burn so much from embarrassment.

I mean, it still felt hot even when Mavis and I were walking through the woods and heading to his home. He has insisted that I follow him. He wanted to introduce me to his mum and grandfather, and that it'd be quick.

I stared at his back as he led the way, twisting my hands in the pocket as I wondered what this sudden need to touch me and be friendly with me was about. He still hadn't properly explained it, and I wasn't sure I wanted to bring up something that could start a fight when we were starting to get so close physically. After telling his folks, and after telling the pack mates that needed to know as well as my mum, we could—

I swallowed, thinking about it. We're going to have sex. Probably not today. Heck, maybe not even this week, but I was looking forward to it, and I sure Mavis was too. He might not want me the way I wanted him, but there was no way he didn't acknowledge that we had chemistry.

"We're here," he said, leading me through some shrubs that led to a cleared-out space. I spotted the tiny garden and Cabin to the left, and the man sitting on the rocking chair as well as the woman standing at the patio. She waved suddenly, and I blinked.

"That's my mum," Mavis said, reaching out to take my hand. "Let's go."

We walked up to the little cabin, before climbing up the stairs that led to the patio. The old man looked a little confused, but the woman smiled, like she knew what was about to happen.

I blinked, wondering if Mavis had already told her.

"This is Naylan," Mavis said, giving my hand a squeeze before turning to look at me. "My mate."

I wasn't sure why, but I hadn't gotten used to him saying that out loud yet. It made my stomach churn and my mind fog with pleasure.

"Naylan, this is my mum and my grandfather," he said, making me blink again.

"H-hello," I coughed out, looking over at them. The woman walked up to me, before encasing me in a hug.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you," she said, pulling me away but still holding on to my shoulders. "You're the alpha of the pack within the inner woods," she said. It wasn't a question, more like a statement. She brushed my cheek with her knuckles, smiling at me before letting go. "Papa, you're not interested?" she asked, turning to look at the older man in the rocking chair.

He let out a grunt, before stretching out his hand. I stared at it, before Mavis touched my back lightly and spoke to me.

Go. His voice flooded my mind. I nodded, walking over to the older man before offering him my hand. He grabbed it. Holding it a little too tightly. I winced, but he simply hummed, rocking on his chair.

"Take care of each other," he finally let out in a hoarse voice before letting go of me. He seemed to be thinking deeply, but I didn't have much to guess about what because Mavis has reached out to me, grabbing my shoulders, and making me turn my head towards him. He wasn't looking at me. He was staring past my shoulder. I watched as his eyes danced from his mother to his grandfather.

"I don't plan on leaving you too by yourself," he said, as I got flooded with his feelings. He was anxious. I followed his gaze to his grandfather and then his mother, feeling his emotions with him—letting them run through me. Worry. Distress. Anxiousness. They all bubbled in him even though his grip on my shoulder was firm and his gaze was level.