6 | MANY QUESTIONS

NAYLAN

NAYLAN

     "I'm not sure what you mean?" I said in response after a while of just gawking at him in confusion. "Did I do something wrong by offering to help?"

     Mavis seemed taken aback by my words. His features softened, but his jaw was still held tight. "I'm not going to warm up to you just because you're doing this," he said, making me blink.

     "What?" My face boiled as I caught on to what I'm saying. "No, I'm not trying to get you to like me. If you need help, I'll offer it, that's all."

     Mavis didn't seem convinced. "It's a bit weird for you to offer us food, and don't tell me you're trading with us. I know you don't need out dumb vegetables. You guys have gardens yourself," he said, and I shrugged my shoulders.

     "Helping people makes allies out of them, don't you think?" I asked, and he smiled a little. It made my heart leap to see his great teeth and small dimples. He laughed. I had made him laugh. It felt great.

     "Why are you looking at me like that? Is there some erotic picture drawn on my cheek or something?" I blinked at Mavis' words, feeling my face burn up again. I didn't mind vulgar people, but the embarrassment level was kicked up a notch when it was someone you would like to kiss and do other intimate things with.

     "Sorry," I said, staring down at the floor. "I can't help it." He should know that. It was a mate thing.

     "I know," he sighed, as a cool wind blew over us under the canopy. We sat in silence for a while, until it grew too uncomfortable for me, so I started rapping my fingernails on the surface of the plastic chair I was sitting on.

     Mavis looked over at me, raising one of his brows. "You're such a kid," he laughed, making me pause before placing my hand in my lap.

     "I'm over twenty," I said, starting to get annoyed at the frequency with which he kept saying that.

     He stopped laughing, staring at me with wide eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry." He seemed sincere. Did I sound that upset?

     I sighed, shaking my head. "It's alright. I was just irritated," I mumbled, fidgeting with my fingers. "So, any plans on leaving soon?" I asked, looking up at him. He stared at me for a while, sucking in his lower lip as he looked towards the direction that he'd come from.