16 | A TALK WITH MA

MAVIS

MAVIS

     After I had gone into town with Naylan I had started to come to the realization that I couldn't pretend that I didn't like him. Over the next few weeks, my jealousy spiked whenever he mentioned anyone that I didn't know or smiled about people I wasn't familiar with any time we went for one of our works. I was starting to feel restless. Taking a walk with him every few days wasn't enough to feed my want for a relationship with him, but I was still too embarrassed to bring that up, especially since I was the one to put us into our current situation. Also, it seemed like Naylan was comfortable with the arrangement, and the fact that I wasn't sure if he would respond positively to me suggesting that we dated, was holding me back.

     "What are you staring at?"

     The sound of my mother's voice made me snap out of my thoughts. I blinked, realizing that I had been leaning on the railings of the patio with a frown on my face for more than a few minutes.

     "Nothing," I said, leaning off them, but still holding on to the wooden slab, I let myself look at my mother from the side of my eyes, listening to her sigh as she made her way towards the chair that was usually reserved for my grandfather.

     "You're not yourself these days," she said, sitting down. The chair squeaked under her weight, letting out a creak as she adjusted her sitting position. "Why is that?"

     My eyes watered a bit as I considered telling her. A sigh left my lips, and my heart began to pound against my chest when I decided it was the right thing to do. I was taking out my frustrations on my family by being gloomy all the time and keeping them in the dark. They deserved to know—especially my mum, and maybe I needed someone to talk about these feelings with more than anything else right now.

     "I—" I paused, letting out a sigh before looking up at the sky. Some birds passed up ahead, refracting the sun's rays with the flapping of their wings. "I found my mate," I said all at once, pretty sure my mother barely made out what I said going by the frown on her face.

     "I found my mate," I said it slower this time, walking over to the chair she was sitting on. She stared up at me and I stared down at her. I couldn't read her expression. She had none. Her lips were in a thin line, and her deep brown eyes were void of any interpretable emotion.