2 | LET'S TALK

NAYLAN

NAYLAN

     It's been a month since my encounter with the coyote wolf. I hadn't told anyone about it. Not my packmates, not my brother, and not even Georgiou. I had kept the information to myself and stole an extra glance at the woods I had met him at any time I walked past it. Sometimes, I would hear rustling from above the trees, and sometimes I would hear footsteps skittering about, but then they would quickly fade into the distance when I paused to address them.

     Is he following me? I would wonder, feeling my chest flutter from the thought of him shifting through the dense forest to keep an eye on me.

     Aside from that, nothing much has changed. We proceeded to build the storage houses in the cleared space, and we got wolves from Georgiou's and Noah—the leader of the park surrounding the country club—to help us.

     I didn't see my brother too often, but I talked to him through text, and video called him when I could. I had become a lot less worried about his relationship with Len. They had mated, and Adyen flaunted the scar on his neck with a smile. They seemed to be treating each other well, so I became less protective.

     "Shit!" My voice got caught in my throat when I noticed someone had almost run into me. The young

     "I'm sorry!" they said, watching as I dusted down my clothes. "I thought you would move, I didn't think that you weren't paying attention," he continued to ramble, making me look over at the shaking wolf with mild annoyance. I knew that my natural position as an Alpha on the hierarchy affected how I was treated. It didn't matter how nice I was as a person. I was bigger, faster—I would always be more intimidating to people with lower ranks. Even adults like Georgiou.

     My chest fluttered when I remembered my mate. He hadn't been afraid of me. If anything, he almost wiped the floor with me. A smile crept up my lips at the memory as I turned to the boy again. I shrugged my shoulders to show that I wasn't upset. "It's okay," I said, and I watched as he visibly relaxed. 

     "I'm going inside to take a rest," I announced when he didn't say anything in response. He looked confused at first but gave me an awkward smile back when I told him to run along. He gave me an intense look, before running off with the other teenagers they had been standing around with. A sigh left my lips as I continued making my way to my cabin.