9 | TWO AND TWO

NAYLAN

NAYLAN

     Mavis was confusing the fuck out of me, and it was starting to get on my nerves.

     "On one hand, he tells me that he doesn't want us to mate or anything, and now he wants us to be friends that kiss sometimes?" I whined to Georgiou's wife, Leigh, as she took the empty cup of beer I had finished before dropping a plate of pizza rolls in front of me.

     "Yeah, that sounds like it sucks," Leigh said, grabbing a stool before joining me at the kitchen island. We were both in the kitchen of her and Georgiou's place. I stopped by when I was downtown, and that was starting to be less and less since the pack in the woods had started to become more stable and self-sufficient.

     "I'm sorry for ranting," I murmured, picking up a pizza roll before taking a bite. "It's just been getting to me."

     Leigh nodded, resting her head on her raised palm. "I understand."

     "Like, he said we should be friends who kissed, but we haven't done that yet. He hasn't even held my hand," I whined, not carrying that I sounded like a YA novel protagonist.

     Leigh snorted, hiding her grin with the back of her hand. "You really want that kiss, don't you?"

     "Maybe..." I trailed, licking inside my mouth before picking up another pizza roll. "He's my mate after all. I'm allowed to feel like this, aren't I?" I asked, watching her nod.

     "Oh absolutely," she said, raising the cup of juice she had brought for herself to her lips. I smiled, letting out a sigh as I stared down at my plate of food. One evening when I had come over, I had been an emotional mess, and Leigh had stepped in where Georgiou couldn't. It wasn't very long until I told her what my problem was—my mate—my confused as hell supposed to be, life partner that was made and shaped for me by the goddesses.

     "I just want him to be straightforward with me. He seems to like me somewhat, so I'm not sure what he's doing..." I said, narrowing my eyes at the marble island surface as I thought of all the walks I've had with Mavis so far. He was less on guard these days and seemed to enjoy being around me, or maybe he was just happy to have someone to talk to. He came from a small community of about thirty coyotes, and he had told me he was an only child. After hearing him talk about his father a bit, I understood where his commitment issues might have been coming from, but it still frustrates me.