Chapter 34 - Abulia

Dr Matt came back in about five minutes.

"She's better?" Jaden asked Dr Matt immediately he got back.

He nodded and placed his hand on Jaden's shoulder "I think so. I'm glad you came"

Jaden smiled "I wouldn't have missed her funeral for the world" Dr Matt pulled Jaden into a hug.

And then the sudden realization dawned on me- Jaden was all Ellen and Dr Matt had left.

Technically, Jaden wasn't exactly biologically related to Dr Matt but nevertheless Dr Matt considered him to be his son.

"You said you wanted to see us" Genesis interrupted their hug.

Dr Matt pulled back and cleared his throat "Indeed, I said so"

"We've made some decisions and we want to be truthful about some lies we told" John added and nervously scratched his hand.

Dr Matt and John stared off into thin air, almost as if they were looking for a perfect way to break the news to us.

"Well?" I urged them to go on.

Dr Matt heaved "We were never planning on saving or finding Zoey"

My eyeballs popped out of their ball sockets "You say what?" The instant Dr Matt had uttered that sentence; I noticed Genesis had folded his hands angrily.

"We thought it would be best to just leave things be and let sleeping dogs lie" John explained "We both planned to eventually lie to both of you that we found out that Zoey was dead"

Dr Matt and John weren't only selfish people, they were conceited jerks with no conscience.

"But we realized that would be unfair" Dr Matt justified "Jemima's premeditated death revealed to us that we can't stay along the sidelines waiting for another sinister thing to happen"

"We have to grab whatever is going on by the horns and solve this case" John complemented Dr Matt's statement.

"Are you done?" Genesis asked spitefully and they both shamefully nodded.

Jaden gritted his teeth "You are telling me that Jemima died because both of you were scared to lose your perfect so called lives to figure out what was wrong?"

"It's not like that" Dr Matt calmly said.

Already frustrated, Jaden put his arms on his head and yelled "How is it like then?"

Dr Matt refused to answer and Jaden proceeded to yell once more "No, tell me!"

Jaden really needed to calm down. I understood what they had planned to do was improper but nevertheless they had a reasonable excuse for acting inappropriately.

"Everyone should calm down" I gently said. I wasn't sure of many things but I was sure that Dr Matt wasn't to blame for Jemima's death.

It wasn't like he had planned the fire or something. Today was Jemima's funeral and getting worked up wasn't on any of our agendas.

"Alina are you hearing yourself now?" Genesis mocked me "They were never planning on saving Zoey. They were going to leave her to die wherever she was"

To say the least, I couldn't deny I was a tad bit angry they had initially lied to us about finding Zoey but at least they resolved to tell us the truth and that's what truly mattered.

If Jemima hadn't died, they wouldn't have confessed. In a way, Jemima's death was a blessing in disguise.

John and Dr Matt looked at me with a guilty expression on.