sleepovers and bruises

tw: mentions of physical, mental and domestic abuse.

~~~

it took another 30 minutes of streaming before either of us laugh, probably because my mood was dragged down by the texts from my mum, or maybe because i'm good at 'you laugh you loses'.
we ended the stream and then jack turned to look at me.

"you can stay here." he says, looking me dead in the eyes.

"no. i can't. i'll go to y/bsf/n's. i'm not staying here again, i wasn't supposed to last night. i can't stay tonight as well, it's not fair on you."

"yes you are."

"no i'm not." i say, deadpan.

"yes. you. are." he says again, still not moving his gaze.

i roll my eyes whilst smiling and get up out of the chair.

"i need to get clothes and stuff from mine..."

"i'll drive you there, easy peasy." jack states.

i roll my eyes again and grab my bag, so that i could put spare clothes into it after i get them from my house.

"you've got your bag now, so let's go get your stuff quickly and be back as soon as we can?"

"ok, fine, but if my mum gets annoyed that you're a guy, this will officially be my new home." i joked, laughing slightly at my comment.

"ok, deal." he says.

i wasn't quite sure if he was being serious or joking too, but i didn't really care at all, he was showing me kindness, kindness that i hadn't seen or been given in a long time.
human decency
that's all it is. that's all he's doing. showing human decency. kindness that everyone deserves but just not that everyone gets.
i just feel as though people purposely do bad things to others, if not to make themselves feel better, then to make problems for other people to pick up and fix for them.
it's stupid really, how simple everything is, how easy it is to show and give kindness and yet how difficult people can find it to be able to portray said kindness.

"you good?" jack asks, snapping me out of my daze.

"huh? oh, sorry, i spaced out." i chuckle.

"you ready to go?"

"mhm," i mumble.

i look down at my feet, grab my bag and wander out of jack's room and towards his car, jack following me closely behind.
we got into the car and not soon after, we arrived at my house.

"this is it." i say, pointing at my driveway.

"you want me to wait out here for you, or shall i come in?" jack asks.

"you can come in, just try and stay quiet cause of my mum."

"ok."

we make our way to my front door and i slowly pull down the handle, trying to make the least amount of noise that i possibly can.

"i can hear you." i hear my mum call.

"sorry, mum, just getting my stuff and then i'll be gone again." i reply, quickly trying to hurry jack and myself up the stairs.

"wait! get your arse back here now! who the fuck is that?" my mum shouts.

"umm, this is jack..."

"uh- hi..." jack says timidly.

"you can wait outside." she says rudely.

"but- " i try to interrupt.

"he. can wait. out. side." she says sternly.