Bonus Chapter #1 (part two)

"To rotten potatoes

"To rotten potatoes." Marcus raised his beer, and the girls followed suit, airy giggles subduing the clinks of glass.

Derek's laughter wrapped itself around the bite of potato salad lodged in his throat, and instant flame heated his cheeks. The breeze which beat against the sails overhead echoed the thumping of his palm upon his chest until his throat cleared and the dribbles of laughter found their way out.

This only fueled the others' laughter as Derek stood, placed his plate on the cooler he'd been sitting on, and took a bow.

"Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week."

"Much like that potato." Marcus snorted, giving Derek a little shove.

Derek's only answer was a gruff chuckle, his throat still itching from the ordeal.

When everyone's amusement died out, he turned his head to the red-haired beauty stretched out across the bow. The knotted blankets tucked against her throat shifted as she brushed at her chin, gaze locked with his while she flashed a smile.

His fingers worked over the dimple in his chin, catching on the stray bite of potato.

I hope that didn't come from my mouth. His cheeks flushed at the thought of Ashlyn seeing that, and he dipped his head.

Reaching over, his fingers closed around the napkin Ashlyn offered, his knuckles grazing hers. Her hand was ice.

Derek looked to her again, sitting out in the open—at the mercy of the building wind—with a frown. The blankets pooled around her shoulders still weren't enough to ward off the creeping chill against her damp clothing. Especially now the sun had exhausted itself in its waning hours. Fortunately, she'd found the courage to remove the sodden life jacket shortly after sitting down to eat, though it still rested beside her knee, always within arm's reach.

Her smile was shaky, her bottom lip snagged between trembling teeth as she pulled her hand back to tuck it beneath the blankets.

Derek tugged at the cuffs on his light sweater, then turned and cleared his plate from the slightly damp blanket tossed over the cooler.

"Here," he said, holding the woolen throw out towards her.

Ashlyn shook her head, refusing the blanket even as she tucked her legs closer. 'I'm okay', she breathed.

"I can see your teeth chatter from here, love." He took a step towards her, the blanket sweeping over the mound that concealed her legs.

Ashlyn's jaw tightened out of stubbornness, and Derek could see how tightly her teeth gripped her bottom lip before she relented, slender fingers grasping the woolen edge.

Thank you. The corners of her mouth tipped with a blissful smile laced with sunshine when she tucked the additional blanket around her, already looking a great deal warmer. Derek merely tipped his head, sat, and took a sip of his ginger beer.