What if we Drown (5)

"Derek, I'd like you to meet my best friend and business partner, Ashlyn

"Derek, I'd like you to meet my best friend and business partner, Ashlyn." Kass beamed as she approached from behind. "Derek's the new 1B," she added coming up beside Ashlyn.

Derek grinned as he waved from where he sat, his navy jacket popping against the grey armchair. "Nice to meet you again, Ashlyn."

Ashlyn withheld a laugh upon noticing her name still inscribed on his palm. She waved in response, her smile friendly.

"I don't understand. You guys know each other?" Kass enquired as she glanced between the two of them with confusion, her gaze missing the cursive ink that decorated his palm.

"Ashlyn was kind enough to help me with some, uh, map difficulties." He chuckled, his palms flexing against his jean legs. Kass' gaze focused on Ashlyn as her cheeks warmed, a light flush making itself known.

It was nothing, really, she signed before scratching her forearm and looking away, a nervous habit she'd developed through her periods at the hospital. 

Kass' hand was firm, but comforting, as it covered Ashlyn's, stopping her from scratching. When she glanced up into Kass' eyes, as sweet as chocolate, a reassuring smile greeted her. For the third time that day, Ashlyn found herself wondering what she had ever done to deserve such a good person to call a friend.

"Derek was just telling me a little bit about himself, and what brings him to Glassmont. But first, I think we need drinks," Kass announced breaking the silence. Squeezing Ashlyn's hand, she winked, pulling her towards the kitchen on the other side of the room.

Ashlyn removed three mugs from the cupboard as Kass began boiling the water.

"Is everything okay, Ash?" Kass asked, turning to face Ashlyn.

Ashlyn took a deep breath. It's April twenty-eighth, and I forgot. A tear stroked her cheek as she retrieved the milk from the fridge.

"Aw, sweetie." Kass took the milk bottle from her and pulled Ashlyn into a hug, rubbing her back with a soothing motion. "I'm so sorry. I hadn't realized," she spoke quietly.

Ashlyn pulled back to wipe her face with her sleeve. I don't want to forget him, Kass, I can't. She looked down at her hands, the anguish and fear gnawing at her heart.

"Sweetie, you could never forget him. He is a part of you, and always will be. It's a good thing if you forget this date. Your heart is moving on, and your life is moving forward, as it should be."

Ashlyn nodded unconvincingly, two more tears falling. Her mind was swimming with questions that voiced her fears. What if she did start to forget the way his nose crinkled when he smiled, or the cadence of his voice as he spoke his love over her? What if she forgot the joy they found jumping in the waves or the warmth of his hugs before bed?

"Just because the wound is healing, it doesn't mean you should scratch it." Kass smiled encouragingly. Ashlyn knew that she had to move past what had happened, and stop dwelling on the past. Kass was right. This was a sign of the hole in her heart beginning to heal, and each time she thought back on it, she only opened the wound again. She needed to give it time to repair itself.