What if we Drown (44)

Confliction had seized her every waking thought, and the horrors they'd crafted in sleep had carried into her waking nightmare

Confliction had seized her every waking thought, and the horrors they'd crafted in sleep had carried into her waking nightmare. Salty kisses, split lips, and haunted gazes had been her only comfort in sleep. The desperate glances she stole over her phone were a subconscious reaction to her need to know that he was okay. Trapped within this nightmare, only one person who could wake her from it. The same person who'd refused to acknowledge her messages, or answer any of her calls.

In an attempt to clear her head the following morning, she'd decided to go for a run, only realizing the direction her feet had carried her when she found herself on the corner of Main Street, gazing up at his apartment.

Sat on the dusty pavement across the street, her stare had focused on the shadows that moved within, a mental battle ensuing. To go, or to stay away as he'd wanted? Ashlyn's world had flipped on its head in a matter of words. Up was suddenly down, and love had twisted into an unnamed fear.

And so she'd waited, thoughts stirring like the finger that traced the dirt on the pavement. With every couple of breaths, she'd stolen glances of the balcony, and the shadows beyond, wondering how they fared.

Lorraine had been first to spot her, the saddened downturn of her lips causing an ache in Ashlyn's chest. Another shadow passed behind her; his. Ashlyn had stood, hope beating like a drum within her. But he didn't stop. Didn't notice her waiting below.

The single thread that connected her heart to Derek's tugged, and she'd made an involuntary step forward. If not for the car horn that had sounded when she stepped down onto the road, she'd have followed that string right to his front door. She just needed to see him, to know he was okay.

Stumbling back, Ashlyn had looked to the window to see Lorraine give a brief shake of her head.

He needs more time. She'd signed, her movements concealed behind the curtain. Derek must have been close.

Exhaling, Ashlyn had bowed her head in defeat. She'd been a fool to think things might have been different.

With nowhere else to go, she'd turned and ran towards the only other place that felt like home.

Wiping the sweat from her palms on her shorts, Ashlyn took a deep breath.

She brought her hand up and knocked twice on the front door, her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

"Ashlyn," Abel greeted her, the door creaking on its hinges as he opened it all the way. His eyes raked over her appearance, a frown possessing his brow.

Sweat clung to her skin, and dust stained her legs. Her face felt tight from the control she'd maintained around watchful eyes. There was a tremble in her hands at her side, and she failed to meet Abel's gaze. She was barely holding herself together.

A whimper sounded from the back of her throat.

I didn't know where else to go. Ashlyn's bottom lip began to tremble, her head falling forward.