1

-

"Heyyy!!!!!"

I look up from my phone and see the overly excited girl heading toward me, finding myself smiling at the sight of her and her what some would consider an obnoxious attitude. I didn't mind though, not at all.

Of course, she'd never let me embrace my true antisocial form to its peak, which I secretly thank her for because I'm not sure that's a version of me I want to see. Ever since our childhood, she's been like this, flamboyant... I guess you could say.

Though a little lost at times, that's what I'm here for, we balance each other out in the best way. She even accepted me when she found out I was intersex, though we were still young and I had yet to find out how harsh people could be about my condition.

I thought she'd leave me the first chance she got, but nope.

We used to walk to school all the time, but ever since freshman year of highschool started she'd oversleep and make continuous excuses for why she couldn't make it. I tried to wake her up when I could, but being late started affecting us both.

She eventually told me I could just go without her if it started happening again, yet I protested like usual. She's always been there for me, why wouldn't I be there for her?

But I watch as she catches up to me, slowing down as she was a few steps away from me.

"I.... hate....... Running.." Sayori coughs out, putting her hands on her knees for support as she caught her breath.

I snicker at the girl, "All you did was run down the sidewalk... how are you tired already?" I adjust my bag, waiting for her to catch her breath. "Maybe you should join me for my runs"

She purposefully makes the effort to groan louder, letting me know that wasn't happening. I shake my head with a laugh, making my way towards the school. As we get closer, the number of students strewn about increases, and their conversations make up most of the sound when cars aren't passing by.

I hear her footsteps beside me, she hums along to whatever song is stuck in her head and we fall into our comfortable routines yet again.

"Have you decided on a club to join yet?" She asks me, dusting something off my sleeve.

I glance at her, "Nah, I don't really have enough time for that between homework and work," I pause, looking both ways before crossing the street. " You should join the tennis club though, you obviously need the exercise"

She playfully rolls her eyes and shoves me, "Shut up" I snort at her pouting face, knowing it wouldn't work on me this time. "But what do you mean? You told me you'd join a club this year Y/N"

I look at her in confusion, tilting my head as I thought about what she was talking about.

Then I suddenly remember earlier in the summer. She walked in on me getting changed, not really batting an eye since she was used to it. Still, I could never get used to it for some reason. So in the midst of my confusion and panic, she asked me if I could join a club this year-round.

Due to those factors.. and her annoying pout, I dismissively agreed and shoved her out of my room, hoping she'd forget about it.

I let out a groan, knowing I had even promised her so she definitely wasn't going to drop it. I've learned over the years we can both be stubborn as hell when we want to be. And we weren't one to break promises with each other.

She lets out a giggle, knowing I pieced together everything, "And you don't even have a job, what are you talking about," She slaps my shoulder, causing me to rub it.