I: Boulder

"Excuses are the rocks where are dreams are crushed."

-Tim Fargo
⚜️

"...I still cannot fathom why this has happened." Said a servant. "I have never heard of such a thing ever done before."

Andrea, the new head cook, turned to her, "You simply do not need to know everything."

"But I do wish to understand!" The girl insisted. "How is the dukedom passed unto Lord Damian so suddenly?"

"Because, his father Duke Vincent, wished for it to happen."

"Does anyone know why?"

The other girls shook their heads and shrugged their shoulders. Sam, the previous' cook's daughter chimed in, "Perhaps understanding the hierarchy can help."

"And what is that?"

"Well, you see, a title like the dukedom can be passed unto the first born son. In some cases, to the nearest male kin. And it happens when the person holding the title passes away."

The girl's brows came together, "But Duke Vincent is still alive and well."

"He may even outlive you." Added a chamber maid and her comment gathered some chuckles.

"Exactly! So why is he giving his title away?"

Andrea sighed, these talks are tiring her down. "He has decided to fade into the back drop and give the reigns to his son. Duke Damian is now our lord, the head of this house."

"Is he not too young to be in that position?"

A soft smiled curved on Sam's lips, "He has been raised to be a duke even since he could walk. He shall know what to do."

***

"I, Damian Davensport, have no idea what to do."

His deep blue eyes scanned the papers littered on his desk. There were too many accounts to review and very little time to spare. He stood up and continued to mumble.

"People expected me to be able to handle things as soon as father gave them away. Yet in the span of two months, my spirit has been tested several times." He paused to take a deep breath. "First, I was married to a woman I despised. Second, I usurped father's position. Third, I had to deal with my in laws debt while my first love had married my brother."

"....and your sister is berating you, right this very moment."

He turned and stared at another set of blue eyes.

"Brother, I do understand that things are difficult for you right now. And that is alright. I am certain father went through the same dilemma as you did. He turned out quite fine."

"Whatever are you doing here, Jules?"

Julianna, his one and only sister, gave a curious smile. "I need money."

"What on earth for? Have you squandered your allowance already?"

She shrugged her shoulders and began to fan herself. The young Davensport lady may only be ten turning eleven but she appeared as regal as their mother or any other ladies at court. Damian could picture his sister ruling people with a stern hand and an unfathomable mood.

"I wish to buy new shoes."

"You have a hundred or so of them."

"Father never questioned why I needed one more. Besides, mother dealt with the allowances for all three of us. He never had to think why a lady's wardrobe took so much ...sophistication." She replied.