17: Dinner at Hinley

"A strong family has well worn seats at the dinner table."

-The art of domesticity
⚜️

That evening, the duke and duchess of Hinley have officially opened their doors as husband and wife.

The selected guests and family members gathered as the night before the Christmas ball would commence. Garbed in their lovely frock and breeches, a dance was expected. But before that, a loud clinking of glasses sounded.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Lords and ladies. I thank you for coming all the way down to our humble abode, despite the nasty weather outside. I am aware that we have been living in solitude these past few months but that is all to surprise you. " His eyes surveyed the room until it landed on his wife. "All these changes were all thanks to my duchess. To her creative mind and dedication for our home. We welcome you all to Hinley Manor! Let the dancing begin!" Damian said as he raised his glass.

A round of applause echoed as couples found their places on the dance floor. Agatha and Josien took it upon themselves to claim the center stage. The conductor waved his baton and the music began.

As the dancing slowly progressed, Lydia found herself stiff with worry. She was all across the room from where her husband was at. He had already presented her to everyone but there were too many faces and voices all at once. It was suffocating her to a point that she secretly asked him for some space.

Damian understood her discomfort and promised to come find her later. So she and her maid fled to a private corner, finding her wits.

"Breathe, lyd. You look like you've seen a ghost." Evangeline whispered. "Smile, you have a lovely smile. Show them that."

To which she did. Awkwardly at first but when well-wishers came and moved on, she began to relax. So far, so good.

"You should take the next dance." Evangeline said, as she hid behind her fan. "It does not have to be with the duke. But you ought to be seen dancing...as the hostess."

Lydia nodded. "I plan to, vanj. As soon as someone would ask me."

"Well, we may not get one. Not by staying by the wall. Even them ladies are starting to wonder why you are out here."

"Wallflowers?" She pretended to straighten her skirt and caught a glimpse of women on her right.

"Even private parties have them. They are simply, everywhere."

She had witnessed and interacted with wallflowers many times before. Sometimes, Lydia felt she belonged with them. Bodies present at the ball but their minds were elsewhere. And sometimes, she does not. Mostly because she was once the most desirable lady at court.

"You are right, vanj. Come, let us find us another place."
***

Damian was conversing with Ivo and his wife when he spotted Kerr. He stood a good foot taller than most men so it was easy to notice him. Not to mention how good looking he was and how fashionable he appeared as well. There was this magnetism around him that seemed to draw people in.

Their eyes met and Damian had to gesture for him to join them. As the man approached, he had an odd feeling that something was awry. He could not put his finger on it but he could feel something was up in the air.

"Alistair, good of you to join us." Ivo said. "I believe you have not met my wife yet."

"Mister Garnder, a lovely evening to you. And it is my pleasure to meet your missus."

Enna extended her hand and Kerr took it. He met her eyes before planting a kiss on the back of his palm. "Kerr Alistair, at your service."

"Enna. I married Ivo three months ago." She replied. "But we've known each other since we were children. Are you related to the duke, Mister Alistair?"