24: Locked doors

"The door to her heart was locked up tight, but he could still see a faint glow escaping through the keyhole."
-John Mark Greene

⚜️

After sending off the guests, Damian went ahead and visited the prince. He was still unconscious but according to the doctor, he was in no harm's way. They left him in the care of his manservant. Now, unto the most important meeting: his wife's savior.

Gideon and Marie were given accommodations. And while they were taking a short respite, Josien sought him out. Whatever his father-in-law wanted now, Damian wished he could shake it off soon. He invited him to his study.

"My wife and I are departing." The Earl began. "Today."

He tried to mask the surprise on his face. They took a seat and enjoyed some wine. "What prompted this?"

Josien refused to meet his eyes, instead, he stared at the portrait of his daughter and son-in-law. "It is time we let you settle on your own. We have overstayed as far as I am concerned. Your marriage is at its prime, you ought to enjoy it. Our presence here is no longer needed and I think you can appreciate having the house to yourselves. Without us hovering over your every move, that is. I believe Lydia is in capable hands and I trust her well-being to you."

The duke did not comment and simply nodded his head. Perhaps this is for the best. His in-laws were no good to his wife anyways. It's great that they realized that, too.

"I hope your stay at Hinley had been good at least."

"Oh, it has, yes. One of the best."

"Very well, I shan't keep you here." Damian downed his drink and rose. "I have a few appointments myself. But should you need a carriage, we can lend you ours."

The earl waved him off. "I have sent for a hackney that'll take us to the port. Do not bother yourself, your grace."

"Do come to visit again, my lord."

Josien outstretched his hand and he shook it.

***

Meanwhile

Outside the gates, an unknown carriage arrives. The driver tipped off his hat, revealing a margin of his face. Just enough for the servant to recognize him. After that, they were let in. Just as they were nearing the stables, a screaming Agatha was being escorted out.

"Unhand me you brute!"

Oscar and Peterson did not. They held each of her arms and walked by her side. Behind them followed her maids carrying their belongings. As they made their way downstairs, Agatha's shrieks grew louder.

"I must speak with the duchess. It is urgent. You need to unhand me now!"

"Her grace is occupied, my lady. I shall relay any messages you wish to send to her." Peterson said.

"No! I intend to tell her myself." She fought to take her arms back but none of them would relent. "Let me go!"

"That is quite enough," Josien said. "I will take my wife now."

Both servants gave him a bow and tended to their luggage. The hackney arrived just in time to load up their things.

"We cannot leave," Agatha said. "Not just yet. I must make things right."

"This is the right thing. We are not needed at Hinley."

"No! Lydia needs me." She turned to stomp back to the manor but Josien was quick to grab her elbow and pull her back.