Chapter 9: Support

Hello again everyone! Sorry again for all the delays, if you don't know from reading Faded Beauty as well I just got a job and that's been putting writing even further on the backburner. I hope you'll enjoy with chapter, minor trigger warnings for it mostly just depictions of sensory issues and anxiety but there are also brief mentions of toxic/abusive parent children relationships near the end. Please take care of yourselves and thank you for reading. 

~~~

"I'm telling you it was the most hilarious shit I've ever seen," Remus insisted.

"Now Remus, what have we said about profanities?" Emile asked sternly.

Remus bent himself over the picnic table, grabbing at the other side, shuffling against Virgil's belongings.

"To try to limit them to at most five a day," Remus grumbled before continuing to mutter. "Around you."

"I heard that young man," Emile sighed.

"Hun, you know that's impossible for us," Remy laughed, his iced coffee sloshing in his hand.

"I was under the impression this was a homework session. I take it both of you have already finished everything?" Janus hummed sarcastically at both Remy and Remus's lack of focus.

Virgil hissed to himself as he pressed his headphones further into his ears as he tried to replay the next homework question for the six time. He didn't understand why he still couldn't figure out what he was doing. It was worded weirdly and the constant babbling of the others was too hard to block out. The words playing in the headphones were just that, words. He couldn't connect them into sentences. No amount of covering his ears to muffle all sounds but those from his computer or replaying the audio was helping the situation. His jaw was starting to ache from the stressed clenching of his jaw, just another disturbance or distraction.

"Hey, Vi, you okay?" Emile asked worriedly, taking notice of Virgil's growing tension.

"I'm fine!" Virgil snapped frustratedly, slamming the lid of his computer closed.

Remy scooted over on the picnic table bench to be closer to Virgil, placing a careful hand on his shoulder.

"That's not the tone or actions of someone who's fine, Doll," Remy said in a gentle tone.

Virgil bit his lower lip and lowered his head to hide the frustrated tears welling in his waterline.

"We're all friends here, you can talk to us if you're getting upset or anxious," Emile added.

"Just frustrated..." Virgil muttered.

Janus, who was sitting on his other side, reached an arm around him to sooth his trembling.

"What's got you frustrated?" Remy asked.

"I just can't do this stupid homework! It doesn't make any sense. I can't focus on what it's saying. I'm trying, I'm really trying I just can't!" Virgil complained, his hands flexing and clenching in his lap, scraping at the fabric of his jeans. .

Energy was building tightly in his chest without escape, he wanted to scream, cry, run, but his own humiliation over a breakdown from a simple homework question was keeping him bound to his seat, trying to lock down the worst of it.

"Well I most certainly couldn't see how this might result, this is an absolutely perfect work environment, it's not at all like there are a bunch of noises and distractions to justify your inability to comprehend the question," Janus said sarcastically.

Virgil chuckled softly, same old Janus from elementary school, fluent sarcasm.

"Vi, we're in the same classes and have the same homework. Just give yourself a little bit of a break to breathe and relax and we can do the homework together, help eachother out, you know?" Remy suggested.