CHAPTER 35

" It's hard to love someone who loves someone else. But it's harder to love someone who loves you, but you can't be together." Unknown / Google

Being pulled back into my body was a mind-boggling experience. It almost felt like being on a roller coaster and having that adrenaline rush you get when you're finally at the top and then suddenly, whoosh, you're being propelled down. I could feel the G Force, and being pushed back into my body was equivalent to that swooping, sickening sensation you would experience on any ride at an amusement park.

"Helena?" A sweet feminine voice called out to me.

"Helena?"

"Helena? I need you to open your eyes, sweet girl. Come back to us." Her soft voice kept coaxing me back to the land of the living.

But I didn't want to open my eyes, at least not yet. My head was still swimming, and there was an ungodly pain in my heart. I just wanted to go back to where I was with him. My heart was breaking, and my mind was in turmoil.

"Helena, I know it's hard, but I need you to focus and return."

I stifled a groan, "I am back, but your voice in my ears is extremely annoying. I want to sleep. Can you please shut up?" I scolded.

The woman laughed. "Still as stubborn as a mule, I see. How about you open your eyes, and we can get reacquainted? Her tone sounded disapproving, like a mother chastising her child.

With a deep sigh, I opened my eyes. Turning my head to the side, I noticed Rosa staring back at me with a bright smile. Her face was even more beautiful than I remembered, and I smiled as I recalled every happy moment with her.

"Where have you been this whole time?" I asked with a bit more base in my voice than I anticipated.

She flicked her hair, "Lose the attitude." Her arms folded across her chest, " I couldn't exactly roam around for centuries, you know? My former coven would have found it odd for me to exist; without you by my side, I would have been in danger. If Sarafina knew I was alive, she would have done everything she could to ensure I was no longer breathing. So, I put a sleeping spell on myself and awoke when your soul was reincarnated." She swiftly replied.

"What is the deal with you two? Why are you no longer a part of their coven?" I laid back on my pillow as I narrowed my gaze. I wanted the truth—no more secrets.

Rosa walked to the window overlooking the gardens, seemingly lost in thought. I watched as she stared at nothing. It was a few minutes before she walked back to my bedside, and I saw her resolve to tell me everything in her eyes.

"When I first met you, that was not by accident. My coven saw you weeks before while you were stalking the marketplace, looking for food and shelter. There was a unique aura about you, and after observing you, we figured out the Goddess touched you. A pure-blooded human being touched by any God is rare, and we knew if we could harvest your power, we would be able to avenge our kind. Take back what we lost." Her breath hitched, " It wasn't until years of me taking care of you and loving you that I found out how we would harvest that power. And I didn't want to kill you. The girl I watched grow into a beautiful young woman deserved a better death than the one we would give. So, I decided to help you. To save you. The only plan I could think of was finding your mate—the one destined to protect you. So, I did a spell to reveal him to me and showed him to you in your dreams as if the Goddess herself delivered the news. But I neglected to tell you I was shown to distinct mates for you. Which I am sure you have figured out by now."

Her eyes cast down as she spoke, and her voice was but a whisper as she delivered this startling revelation.

My face turned into pure shock.