CHAPTER 39

No one ever got tired of loving. They got tired of waiting, assuming, hearing lies, saying sorry, and hurting. (Google / Unknown)

I walked through the corridor of the mansion, still lost in my thoughts as my stomach turned inside out. Truthfully, I needed clarification about what to do next. The question wasn't whether someone would get hurt, but who should I hurt? It's not like I wanted to hurt anyone, but it was inevitable.

"What are you doing?" A rough voice spoke.

I didn't realize I was standing there staring out the window, and I jumped when I heard Connor's voice. With all this power, I couldn't tell if someone was sneaking up behind me. I turned around and couldn't help but feel at ease when my eyes met his. I wondered why I never noticed how calm and peaceful he always seemed to look. I remember being bothered by how carefree they all looked, and now I was envious and wanted nothing more than to feel that same way.

"I'm just thinking, and maybe you should announce yourself before you walk upon a helpless woman." I smiled.

He laughed, "Helpless my ass, Helena. I just saw you suck the life out of one witch and then rip the heart out of another. You are most definitely not helpless. I would say you are truly the apex predator now." His tone was full of pride.

It amused and disgusted me at how casually they mention murder around here. It was like it was a part of everyday life. Nonetheless, I still couldn't help the laughter that bubbled inside me from hearing the words I once said to him about Miranda.

"Yeah, that's me." I pointed a finger in my chest, "Your soul-sucking Luna in full effect." He laughed a little at my sarcasm. "What are you doing walking around the hallways like a thief in the night?" I asked.

I shook my head from left to right, observing the area and noticing how quiet and empty it was. I suddenly felt afraid and shivered at the thought that someone was lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike me down. I wrapped my arms around myself and glanced upwards at Connor, who still was looking as calm as the eye of a storm. Somehow that made me feel safer.

"I'm responsible for security on this wing. First, you looked sad, so I figured I would stop and annoy you, " Connor laughed, "but now you look terrified. I would never let anything happen to you on my watch, Luna. You are as precious to me as my mate would be."

The sincerity and conviction in his eyes revealed that he was as serious as a heart attack. I always wanted a big brother, and his words and affection made me feel that love for a sibling for him. They all were beginning to be that family I always wanted.

"As it stands, you are not annoying me at all. I'm glad that you stopped. It's nice to be out of my head for a moment." I sighed as I rocked back on my heels. "Have you ever felt that your back was against the wall, and no matter what you did or said, all your good intentions would be wasted?"

Would that question make sense to him? How much could I divulge to him without airing out all my dirty little secrets? Could I trust him as I trust Daisy?

"What's wrong? You can trust me." His eyes showed genuine concern as he answered my unspoken question.

"That is the wrong question. I'm beginning to lose myself with so many awful things happening. The more appropriate question would be, 'What isn't wrong?"

Connor arched his eyebrows questioningly as he brought his hand to his chin, rubbing it lightly. "I see." he hummed, "So you have multiple issues in that head? Would you like us to start with the most pressing one for you? He suggested.

"That's easy. I'm a murderer." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Not really, Helena. What you did was protect yourself and the ones you loved. Look at it this way if you were to go to a human court, you would undoubtedly get off using self-defense. Either kills you, which they would have, or you kill them." He stared intently as he spoke to me.