CHAPTER 11

Fear

The literal definition of fear is a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined. When I read the message on the car, this is what I truly felt.

It's not like I have never been afraid of something, but this was different. I didn't feel fear for my life but his life, for their lives, and the fear was indescribable. Whoever wrote this bullshit wanted me dead; they knew I was Elijah's mate, and the message was about me but for him. I loved him and Daisy, and although I hadn't met all of his pack, I loved them too.

As the wheels in my head started to spin, I was vaguely aware of Daisy gripping my shoulders, trying to bring me out of my thoughts. I focused until her face came into full view, and the fear there mirrored precisely what I felt inside. My instincts at once kicked in, and this was not about self-preservation; no, this was about saving the lives of the people I cared about most. Rather she feared for her own life, and the life of her pack or mine was uncertain.

"Daisy, are you in shock? I don't like the color on your face." She gently rubbed my shoulders as she spoke.

I need to keep them safe. But how?

"I'm fine. Just a little startled, but I'm fine. Are you okay?" I asked.

She looked confused, "Girl, hell yes, I'm all right. I'm just pissed at whoever wrote this bullshit, and I'm going to rip their fucking heart out of their chest the moment I find out who did this." She growled.

I almost laughed at what she said until I could see her pupils expand like Elijah did when he was mad, which showed me that her wolf was trying to come out. I placed my hands in the same position she did before speaking.

"Relax, Daisy. Gain some control and get some perspective. We must handle this situation very carefully. My life is not the only life that is in danger."

Realization dawned on her face, and she took a deep breath before her eyes returned to normal.

"Ok, Luna. What is the next move."? She asked, startling me with her question.

How the fuck am I to know what to do?

I walked over to the car, inspecting the words painted on the window while gently touching it. I brought my nose to it, smelling it.

"This was written with latex paint, and it's dry. This means this happened a little over an hour ago. Only a handful of stores sell latex-based paint, so we can track the person that way. Also, it's probably a woman and not a man." I pointed to the shoeprint by the left passenger side door. "Look at the print; it's narrow and small, like a woman's feet. Judging by the length, I will say it is about twenty-two or twenty-three centimeters. Which means it is a size six or six-and-half shoe. Most luckily, a woman." I stated.

I lifted my head to be met with Daisy's curious expression.

"Bitch, how do you know all this?" She asked.

I shrugged, "Let's just say I watch a lot of Forensic Files in my spare time. Who knew that I could apply that knowledge to my actual life? It's not every day I get a threat on my life." A nervous chuckle left my lips.

She pulled me into a hug, almost crushing my spine.

"Helena, please don't worry. I promise we will find out who is responsible, and they will pay with their life." She growled.

Whoa, wait a minute. We can't commit murder because someone left a threatening message. At best, we should put the culprit in jail for premeditated murder but damn, kill them. That is a bit much.