6| Ride

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Ride

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 6: Ride (Michael's POV)

The last two days of the week before the game were like usual apart from one thing. Amelia's behavior. She's been acting weird, different. Not just towards me but even towards her work. She was being much more blunt, only telling me what I had to know and not talking to me otherwise. 

I don't know what's gotten into her but I have to find out. It's been fucking with my head this whole time. 

Tonight's the night before we leave for Philadelphia. The bus leaves tomorrow early in the morning. For almost all our away games, no matter how far they are, we leave early in the mornings so that our arrival day can act as a day off. The team gets to rest up before the game that will take place the next night. 

Currently, Amelia was helping me pack. She put my last t-shirt into the handbag and then went into the bathroom, bringing out a toiletry bag. "I put in a travel-size toothbrush and toothpaste so you don't have to unpack tomorrow morning and add those in," she said quietly, zipping up the handbag and moving it to the floor. She finally looked at me. "You can pack the duffel bag, right?" 

I kept my arms folded across my chest, staring at her. 

"Michael?" 

"What's wrong with you?" 

She blinked in confusion. "What's wrong with me? I don't know. What are you talking about?" 

"You've been acting weird. Like you're not telling me something." 

She shook her head, acting innocent. "No. Nothing you need to know." She grabbed her phone, tucking it into her pocket. "Anyway, I'm heading home. I still haven't packed for tomorrow. I already made your dinner, it's in the microwave, so yeah... bye, goodnight." She moved for the door and I grabbed her wrist, pulling her back and standing in her way. 

"What has gotten into you?" I pressed further. 

"Nothing, I swear." 

"Amelia." 

She blinked. 

"You forget that I know you like the back of my hand," I said, lifting my eyebrows. "Spit it out. Now." 

She watched me for a long quiet moment and then shook her head softly. "You are the reason everything in my life is still so complicated to this day." She sighed, running a hand through her hair before letting it fall to her thigh. "I've been thinking," she finally said, "and I want to quit." 

No. 

"Quit what?" 

She stared at me incredulously. "Quit this job, Michael, what else?" 

"No." 

"Michael—" 

"I said no," I cut her off harshly, taking a step forward.