iv. survival of the fittest

god of high school the sequel, ft ma-ri

MA-RI QUICKLY understood that being the best means being the last one standing, and for that she bares her pearly teeth and slams the bat against every mouth looking to champ on her. The zombies would be scared of her, not the other way around.

The boy next to her doesn't think so; he shoves away her targets and drags her by her forearm. "We need to get to safety."

   Ma-ri halts, stopping both her enemies. It had been pure coincidence that she spotted Suh-yeok and Namra outside of the school, and ever since then, Suh-yeok's hero complex has been triggered.

Of course, even in the middle of a crisis, he would try to outdo her.

"No," she says, pulling away from him. "I need to find my brothers."

Suh-yeok grabs her wrist again and tugs, a zombie whipping past her. "What you need to do is get to safety, unless you want to be a man-eating zombie next time you see them."

Ma-ri almost scoffs at the thought. Her? Getting bit? That would mean she loses, and Ma-ri is anything but a loser.

"Mind your business, Stink Spirit."

Suh-yeok blinks at her as she walks by, slightly offended. His conceptions of her had been a timid and sweet girl—at least that's what he noticed those few times where he tried to talk to her—and he hadn't believed Min-jun when he first called her a Moon-jo kinnie.

   You mean to tell me Man Ma-ri kicked you down the stairs because you lost her pencil? Man Ma-ri caused the nasty bruise on your cheek because you said Hyeonju was the prettiest girl in class? Man Ma-ri released a bunch of ants into your room because you called her disgusting?

Right now it doesn't seem so surprising anymore. He should've told his friend to call the child services.

"Fine," Suh-yeok says. "I'll help you find your brothers. But first we need to get out of here."

Ma-ri is one step ahead. Cracking the tension in her neck and shoulder, she points at the teacher falling off a ladder. She grimaces as zombies swarm him, but notes the way the ladder is positioned perfectly in front of a classroom window. "Use it to get to the classroom, I'll hold them off."

"But—"

"Hey, you're not my hero. Get your ass in there."

Suh-yeok shuts his mouth and obliges, grabbing Namra wrist as they evade raging students. Ma-ri aims the bat at their necks, closing her eyes each time blood splatters on her. Suh-yeok climbs first, checking to see if there are any zombies inside.

Their classmates open it wide for them and he climbs in, gesturing for them to go up. Ma-ri lets out a relieved sigh as Min-jun's gigantic head sticks out. "Ma-ri!" he shouts, and she rolls her eyes at how his voice attracts all the zombies nearby.