Chapter 39[OLD]

I stayed in the cave till the downpours stopped.

An illusion that directly infiltrates a person's mind can be broken. Judging by the accuracy of things, this illusion should be built and based on what I remember and experience.

...

Let's go back to what I remember. The official name of this kind of illusion is "Soul Imprisonment". It is named that way because the victim will go into a state of coma and cannot be awoken unless they overcome the illusion and break it. The illusion created by the sword is similar but with one downside: The life force of the victims is slowly being taken away.

"Soul Imprisonment" illusions prey on the negative emotions of the victims. For example, mental emotions like trauma or regret can be a great source of the essence for the illusions to function. To break the illusion, one must overcome the trauma or regret.

This battlefield... It is not trauma. I have no comrades I care about when I was sent here. Although I was an F-rank adventurer, I have seen bloody fights so the mutilated corpse and disgusting stench of rotten blood do not bother me.

Was I sad? no.

...

I remember now, it is regret.

I regret becoming an adventurer and leaving my family behind in this war. This battle made me realise a lot of things I took for granted; I left this battle with a bloody appearance and loads of wounds. However, as an adventurer in the guild, I must attend the war. It is a capital crime to refuse and I would be executed on the spot.

As I ponder about my next move, my mind drifts into a nap. The feeling of fur nudging my feet woke me up and I realise this cave belongs to a group of monsters. However, they had their fair share of meals with all the corpses lying around and ignored me.

These monsters...wolves with wings and a snake-like tail, category 6 Wolfen.

I stood up and pat the dirt off my body. Carl's corpse has been ripped apart, only bones and his clothes remain.

For now, I will return to the adventurer's guild in Enchantio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guards supervising the entrance to Enchantio were surprised when they see me appearing before them. They inspect my body as one of them runs off to alert the guild. There are cuts and slashes all over my body and to make things more convincing, I poured buckets of blood on myself days before so I stink and my clothes are blood-stained. After all, it is very suspicious for someone as weak as me to be fine after a war.

The guard who went to inform the guild runs back with several others. They are wearing suits so guild executives?

"You! How are you still alive?!" one of them blurts.

"What?" I ask.

"A-Ahem! Don't mind him, please follow us to the imperial hospital booked by the guild, we will need to ask you many things." another one says. It is a man in his 40s, he has goldenly gelled up hair with long sideburns down to his beard and blue eyes. Oddly, he is the only one wearing a white suit while the others are wearing a brown suit.

!

This guy... Micheal Ken. He is the top director of the adventurer's guild, I don't remember him being in Enchantio...

Is the illusion making things up? ...

I shake the thoughts out of my head, I am wasting energy pondering about variables instead of thinking about countermeasures.