4. Academy

Three days passed since the explosion at the orphanage. Ryse died in the fire along with three future members of Squad Ophelia, explaining my huge increase in Karma.

I tried experimenting more with this mysterious power and realised I could extract partly a person's fate.

In the first case, I extracted a bandit's fate to a one, not zero, and left him in the woods tied. He died one day later from wild animals.

Next, I extracted another person's fate to fifteen and did the same initial conditions. He was still alive after two days and someone found him in the woods, saving him.

After much speculation, I realised fate is something like a life force, despite random fluctuations in the timing of death.

----------------
Loi Krist
Fate: 43100
Role: Background Character
Karma: 2072

Talent:
-Sword Tier 6[43100/60000]

Attributes:
-Holy Tier 2
-----------------

The condition to upgrade is incredibly expensive and full extraction replaces my sword talent.

It's more cost-efficient to use full extraction rather than upgrading.

Suddenly, my sister shoves her hair in my face.

"MPH??!"

"Loi, you are spacing out again." My sister says, sulking.

"Ah...haha, I'm sorry about that. Where were we?" I ask.

I pat my sister's shoulder-length fluffy black hair to comfort her. She sits on my lap with a book that she wants me to read.

The dazzling sunlight filters through the natural canopy as we rest below a tree. The gentle rustling of leaves and chirping of nature accompany the sound of my brothers' playful antics. Tranquillity and serenity.

Once in a while, this isn't so bad. I used to hate reading for my sister but now I have learnt to enjoy every passing moment without regret.

"Christina! Come here, I will read for you. Loi, go wash yourself and get ready for the academy." My mother rushes out of the cabin and says.

Christina jumps off my lap and runs to my mother with the book.

Right, today is the start of a new semester after the break. I enter my room and gaze at the outfit hung on the wall.

A uniform consisting of a black coat with silver embroidery lining the edges and two buttons sewn below the long collars. The emblem of the academy, featuring a crossed sword across a majestic gryphon, is prominently displayed at the back.

Underneath the coat hides a long-sleeved white shirt, a black necktie, and long trousers. I pull the coat and straighten the uniform, touching the soft material.

...

How do I feel wearing something I used to be proud of?

...

Nothing.

I change into my uniform and step out of the cabin.

The mother gazes at me from afar.
"Well look at you! You perfectly fit the uniform now! I told you that buying a bigger size is better! Isn't that right, Christina?"

"Mhm." Christina nonchalantly nods on my mother's lap.

I smile at my family. "I will be off now."

The prestigious Akatski Academy is rooted in the Noble District and school time is the only time commoners can step into this realm.