2. Peaceful Times

Vasteaira, a vast mystical land of mystery and the home to many species, is my homeland.

I aspired to be an adventurer when young. One could say my dream was to witness all the enchanting beauty of this land.

Alas, reality hit hard.

I have never left the human kingdom Darto. I didn't have the money or the choice to.

Besides Darto, there are two more neighbouring human kingdoms. Icaris and Malromie.

...

The war tore all three kingdoms apart. It was chaos...

"Hap! Huff...Hap!" I repeatedly swing the wooden sword vertically beneath the grace of the moonlight.

"Hah...phew..." I throw the wooden sword on the ground and collapse on the dirt.

The image of Ruri's death is fresh in my head but what's worse is my unfazed state of mind. I've seen even toddlers and newborns dead in the war, stabbed by spears and thrown to their deaths.

...

I don't have time to waste. I need to become stronger.

My palm grabs ahold of the sword and begins slashing. Despite the pain and soreness in my muscles, I keep pushing myself.

At a tree behind me, several swirls of cut paint on the trunk. My current physical body cannot keep up with my experiences and techniques. Thus, this is what I must do no matter how mundane it is.

I finish my training after an hour and return to the cabin. I don't see any light from the windows. They must be asleep.

However, my attempt to sneak back fails as my mother catches me red-handed, jumping from behind the door.

"Roar!" She screams.

...

"Huh? Odd, this used to scare you." My mother says.

"I've grown out of it."

"Right...anyways, what are you doing training so late?"

"I just want to make use of time efficiently."

"Sleep is important as well!" She exclaims.

"Then why are you awake?" I ask.

My mother sighs. "I'm planning to visit Auroa's funeral when everyone is asleep."

Auroa? That name sounds familiar.

My mother frowns. "It's the tailor." She says.

...I nod.

"Since you are awake, follow me." my mother says.

"Okay."

She sighs and mumbles "Odd, so many acquaintances passed away..."

We travel to the west of the capital on the outskirts. Auroa and Ruri are buried beside a serene tree. Grass terrains extend to the far mountains and the only entity reaching for the moon is this tree.

A woman on her knees sobs on the protruding dirt. Her eyes are red and her hair is messy, she's been here for hours.

My mother solemnly stares at the graves. She clasps her palms together and prays for the departing souls. "Rest in peace." She mumbles.

...

I copy my mother and pray. It's been a long time since I've done this.

A profound silence descends around us. My mother takes out a small lamp from her basket and hangs it on the tree with rope. It's a tradition of this kingdom to send the dead off by lighting the path with lanterns.