Chapter 24

Best to play the Poisonous Lies Spotify playlist for best experience - Link in bio

I had no words to tell him so I left.

He didn't follow, didn't stop me, didn't correct me.

He didn't do anything to tell me that whatever confession he gave me, could have been anything but the truth or a misunderstanding.

I silently left because when I looked at Camron's computer screen, I looked at how Arius had labelled the properties under an unidentified owner's name instead of Matteo Navarro. He changed the legal documents under an unknown owner's name who I know is himself. He is stealing from within the Camorra? From Miami's Capo nonetheless?

I made an assumption that he wanted to destroy my father because why else would he keep his weakness with him? Why would Arius keep me with him?

To negotiate things with my father. He used me to keep my father in check yet how he had us sign the document and have my father do this himself, I don't know, but there is something deeper than this.

For now, my mind is running a thousand miles per hour with no direction as to what I need to do.

I'm clueless.

"One more beer please," I wave down the bartender who has been serving me for the past hour or two, I came here to lose count of time and forget everything.

I was ready to give my heart to him and my trust yet right before anything could happen, he destroyed it all within one snap of his fingers.

With my new drink in hand, I take a sip as a humourless laugh escapes me.

I don't think I have ever drunk this much in my life because there has never been any reason to. I don't think my mother's death has impacted as much as Arius's betrayal. My mother dying was something that ignited the whole darker side of me but Arius' betrayal felt like he had been cutting me with a knife behind my back while holding me in an embrace.

Mom's death was in front of me but Arius knew everything and kept quiet.

I feel a tap on my shoulder only to see Fabian sitting next to me looking awkward.

"Is he sending his little puppets for me now?" I disbelieving laugh escapes me at his audacity.

"Look at you, sitting here even though you know you don't want to be anywhere near me," I look away from his face because I liked Fabian too and he is here which means he knew too.

We both sit in silence while the music thumps in the background and everyone shouts and screams, enjoying their life while I sip away the hurt that is covering my heart.

It's ironic that the this may be the first time I have ever felt any kind of emotion other than anger take over me so completely.

"Would you believe me if I said I actually liked Arius? That I was starting to believe that..." my throat clogs up as the words feel so hard to speak.