THIRTY-SIX

CHAPPED THIRTY-SIX
You can hear him?

RUBY'S BEEN AVOIDING JAKE'S curious questions, asking her why she hasn't been around as much, most of all why she'd been acting so oddly around his cousin.

She always managed to somehow talk her way out of it, changing the subject back to the killer doll which had been the root of all issues.

Ruby placed one last kiss on the boys cheek before rushing out of his bedroom, closing the door gently behind her as she quickly headed into Jake's room across the hall.

Her face fell as the bedroom was now empty, the bed sheets tucked up neatly, she furrowed her brows as she walked over towards his bed, a scribbled handwritten note.

Sorry. It was for the best. ~ Jake.

"Jake?" Ruby yelled, throwing open his door as she hurried down the steps and out of the front door, spinning around madly.

She began to head towards the only set place where he'd be.

As she stepped up to the front door, she knocked w, the door squeaking open, she headed inside, turning her head at every squeak as she headed down the long hallway.

Devon jumped as she entered his room, placing a hand over his beating heart as he recognized her dark hair, he sighed, "Look, if you're here to try and talk me out of leaving then it won't work. I already told Jake that."

"That's not what I'm here for. When did you last see him?" Ruby sat on the edge of his bed, folding her hands as she watched him pack up the last of his belongings.

"He came by like a half hour ago. Why? What's wrong?" He asked, setting the cardboard box down.

She fiddled with her fingertips as she flattened her lips, "I think that he's running away. He left this and all his stuff is gone."

Devon took the slightly crumbled paper as he read it with a concentrated look, "Oh shit. Maybe he's just taking time for himself? He can't be going away for forever."

"That's not the point, Dev. His entire life is falling apart and now you're leaving. This is the exact thing to tip him over the edge. He doesn't understand why you're leaving, he just doesn't want you to." Ruby explained, running her hand through her knotted hair.

"There's nothing I can do. I'm sorry, okay? I have to leave. My moms dead. She's all I see when I look at him and I can't take it anymore." Devon scoffed, pinching his eyes shut as he thought of the woman that raised him.

Ruby nodded, "I understand. Do you need help with anything?"

"Yeah, actually I do. Do you mind taping up these boxes for me?" Devon reached out for her, clutching a roll of clear tape.

She stood, walking around to the bows popping open as she taped them all shut, making sure they were secure before moving to another one.

Night was falling quickly, the girl bidding goodbye to her friend with a firm hug, hurrying out of the door as she began to make the two mile trip home.

She had her headphones plugged in, the sweet song of Kurt Cobain's voice filling her ears, she hummed the melody as she walked quickly.

When she stepped onto the driveway of the Wheelers residence, she got a feeling, the type of feeling that made you want to vomit everywhere.

Ruby had hoped that Jake was gonna be sitting in his room, ready to apologize.

She turned the door knob open, closing it behind her, she looked around the seemingly empty house, Logan was no longer passed out of the couch with a bottle of empty whisky lying with him. 

"Hello?" She called out, running her fingertips along the railings as her converse hit the staircase, furrowing her brows sharply.

She shrieked of horror, nearly falling down the steep stairs as she laid her eyes upon the gruesome scene in front of her.

Junior sat against the red walls, chest rising up and down as he stared at her blankly, Logan's lifeless body covered in his own blood.

Ruby panicked, stepping over the body as she fell to her knees by the boy she loved, cupping his warm cheeks gently, "Hey? Jun. Can you hear me?"

He blinked, bringing his hand to tuck her dark hand behind her ear, "You're so pretty. Even when you cry."

"What happened? Are you okay?" Her bottom lip quivered, tears filling her light eyes, flicking them between his brown ones.

Junior smiled, nodding his head, "The best I've ever felt, baby. It's all okay. We've taken care of it."

"What do you mean, we, Junior?" Ruby pursued her lips, keep her eyes brows tight.

Chucky came out from behind the boy, covered in the blood of Logan, a sinister look on his small face, bringing his hand to wave at the frantic girl.

"You've got to be shitting me." Ruby muttered, letting her hands fall to her sides, Junior frowning at the loss of her touch, "Why him? Why him, Chucky?"

"He's the only one with a pair of balls, Ruby. None of you fucking little shits would kill! But, Junior. He's just great. Now I really do see why you've been crazy over him for this long." Chucky laughed, wiping the blood off his face.

Ruby shook her head with anger, "No. You're the bad person. I'm not like you. Jake's not like you. Lexy's not like you. Devon's not like you."

"But he is." Chucky gestured to the boy slouched against the hallway walls, "He's like me. He can kill! For fuck sakes, he just murdered his father. This time I didn't have to do it for you."

"Why? Why are you doing this? What are you getting out of making our lives a living hell?" She spat, narrowing her eyes at the redhead.

Chucky simply shrugged, "I've been going easy on you, Ruby. After all, you've got everything you want. You finally have Junior."

"Fuck you."

authors note
uh oh