Chapter 63

Peyton POV:

Paige and I got back to campus yesterday and caught up with all the girls on the basketball team about how their break was and we talked about what we did too.

I told them all about what happened between me and my family and they were all super supportive which I was very thankful for. I've gotten close with all the girls recently and they are like my new family and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I have a softball game in a few hours so I'm heading to the facility now to get ready before we do warmups. Paige is at basketball practice right now but by the time her practice is over, our game would be starting a few minutes after that so she said she wouldn't miss it. Nika also said she was gonna come which I'm excited to hear her cheer from the stands because she's pretty funny.

I make it to the softball facility and head to the athletic trainer room so Cat can look at my leg to see how the bruise is healing.

"Alright, it's healed nicely you are all good to go, good luck today" Cat says after looking my leg over

"Thanks" I say as I hop off the examination table and head to the locker room to change into my uniform.

After we all change we jog out onto the field and begin stretching and warming up. My throwing partner is Mackenzie, but everyone calls her Mack, we've actually gotten pretty close which I'm happy about because since she's a senior she's helped me adjust to the college level.

As warmups finish I hear a little kid scream my name, so I look around the stands trying to find them, and notice it's 2 little girls. So I make my way over to them to say hi.

"Hey girls how's it going?" I say happily

"Good" They say smiling "Can we get a picture with you?" the younger one of the two ask

"Yea of course" I say as I bend down a little and put my arms behind their backs for the photo their mom is taking. As I'm posing for the photo with the two girls I notice Paige and Nika sitting in their seats.

"Thank you" the mom says as she puts her phone away after taking the photo

"Of course" I tell her

"Peyton, can you sign this" the older girl says handing me a softball, which I happily grab and write my signature, which I realized is kinda like Paige's, it's just my name and my number next to it.

"Thank you so much!" The two girls says smiling

"No problem, thank you girls for coming" I say as I walk away and head towards Paige and notice Nika isn't there anymore.

"Where'd Nika go?" I say as I walk over to Paige and hug her over the little wall since she's sitting in the front row.

"She went to go get us some food" she says as she hugs me back and kisses the side of my head as we pull back

"Oh, how was practice" I ask

"it was good, worked on some new plays and drills, not very exciting. But what about you, are you excited for your first game at the college level?" She asks me

"I'm more nervous than anything" I say honestly

"Hey don't be nervous, you are gonna play great"

"Yea but what if I mess up"

"Then you mess up, no one is perfect, it's bound to happen at some point, just play the game you fell in love with as a kid and don't overthink. Just go out there and have fun" she says as she grabs both my hands to comfort me

"You have a way with words, you know that?" I ask her smiling

"What can I say, it's my speciality" she says which makes me laugh

"I love you" I say pulling her in for another hug

"I love you more, now go get 'em" she says kissing the top of my head.

The game is going good. I've had some good plays in the field and I had a good hit to center field which got me a double. The game is currently tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 6th inning and we only play 7 innings.

I'm up to bat and we have 1 out. If we score here then we just have to hold them to no runs next inning and we win.

I get into the batters box and get into my hitting stance. The pitcher gets ready, does her motion, and pitches the ball. I notice it's a ball so I don't swing. The count is 1-0. I look over to Coach V who is the third base coach and see if she is giving me any signs to bunt or anything, which she doesn't.

So, I step back into the batters box and get into my stance again. This time when the pitcher pitches, it's a strike so I swing and hit it and start running. But I hit on top of the ball which makes it a grounder in between first and second.

As I'm running to first I notice the first basemen leaves the base to get the ball and the second basemen comes over to cover the bag. And as the first basemen throws the ball to the second basemen who is currently running to first to try and get me out, the momentum she is building up as she is running to the base makes us collide as we both step onto the bag, and I lose my balance and fall down in pain because she elbowed me right in the rib.

I stay down on the dirt on my hands and knees before rolling over onto my back, gripping my left rib with my right hand. Before I know it, i'm surrounded  by Coach V, Coach Brady, and Cat.

"Hey, where does it hurt" Cat says bending down

"My rib" I say in pain which she then immediately starts feeling around my rib to see if anything is broken.

"I'm fine, I'm fine" I say sitting up

"Peyton relax, it's okay if you're not" Coach Brady says as Cat starts getting me a bag of ice

"Really, I'm fine, I just got the wind knocked out of me that's all" I say standing up which then shortly after I hear claps from the crowd.

Cat hands me the bag of ice and I hold it against my rib as I start walking to the dugout.

"Welcome to college" Coach V jokes as she taps my side

"Some welcome" I joke back