Chapter 861 - Chapter 870

Chapter 861: Return to the Drifting Cloud Sect

"I have no interest in cultivating to the point of becoming a monster akin to that Elder Devil." Han Li coldly responded.

After a moment of silence, Monarch Soul Divergence spoke with a strange tone, "Youngster Han, you don't truly believe that all the Elder Devils take a grotesque form?"

"What does Senior mean? Could it be that after I transform into an Elder Devil I won't take on that otherworldly form? Will I be able to retain a human image?"

"You've gained a wrong impression. According to the records that I've read, devil cultivators that ascend to the Devil Realm may join the rank of Elder Devils, but they retain their human appearance. Of course, that's a different story if you use a devilish technique to change your body. 

At the end of the war between ancient cultivators and Elder Devils, there was a small portion of cultivators that were enticed by high grade Elder Devils and were completely fused with devilish Qi. With these cultivators joining the ranks of the Elder Devils, the final battle only grew more fierce. 

It was said that humans that were devilfied, restrained their outer appearance and intelligence, but since they had subjected themselves to those high grade Elder Devils, it is unknown if there was anything else behind this. This started the legend that humans who cultivated Elder Devil techniques to their peak would ascend to the Elder Devil Realm.

"There are two types of Elder Devils that can take on fantastical and grotesque shapes. One type are peak existences that originated from the Elder Devil Realm known as 'Divine Ancestors'. These devils are sparse in number and each of them are beyond fearsome. There are even a few cultivators that practice some Elder Devil Arts and repeatedly call out to the names of these 'Divine Ancestors' to take in their devilish Qi for cultivation. The other kind are demon clans from our mortal realm that cultivated devilish arts and ascended to the Elder Devil Realm. Demon beasts originally weren't human to begin with so their Elder Devil forms are vicious and ugly."

Having heard this, Han Li said, "Demon clans? How is that possible? How can..."

Monarch Soul Divergence lazily cut him off, "How can they cultivator Elder Devil Arts, right? Don't ask me about it; I'm not sure myself. It was merely something that the records had lightly touched. But although the specifics are unknown to me, it seems that the ancient demons contacted the Elder Devils at some point, seemingly much earlier than the humans did. However, I have met a few high grade demon clan members and they didn't actually cultivate any devil arts, neither did their bodies emit any devilish Qi. Perhaps you'll come across an answer in the Jin Empire. If any place should have ancient cultivator records, it would be there."

Han Li's expression wavered and he thought to take out the Sacred Providence Plate which was a legacy treasure of the demon clans. It described a three-headed, six-armed cultivation art and it bore a striking resemblance to the Elder Devil's two-headed four-armed appearance. 'Could it be that they have some sort of unknown connection?'

After a moment of silence, Han Li couldn't help but break out into laughter. Even if the demon clans and Elder Devils had some sort of hidden connection or secret, he didn't have the time to waste discovering it. It was best to leave these matters to those who were interested.