PART ONE

Date: D:12 M:05 Y:2362            INTERVIEW WITH E2

INTERVIEW WITH E2.

E2: [REDACTED] VALKYRIE
PLACED IN: Erudite.
TRANSFERRED IN: 2350 [candidate age at transference: 6, successful].
CURRENT AGE: 18
DIVERGENCE 85%
FURTHER NOTES: E2 exhibits uncertainty and an attachment to the Chicago District despite deep-rooted training and mental manipulations — rebellion. She is emotionally unsettled, potentially Bipolar Disorder. Seems concerned, grieving. Physically healthy, no sign of trauma. Substitute family, the Matthews, suspect little but her false sister, Jeanine, is apparently wary despite E2 integrating at a young age and various mental blocks placed within the community.

START OF INTERVIEW: LOCATION, PORT NO. 4

[E2]: So, do I just... *E2 gestures around the room* Do I just talk? I'm sorry, I don't know how this works. It's been a few years since I've had any communication with Central. I'm a little nervous.
[DI32]: That's alright. Can I get you anything?
[E2]: Black tea, if you have it.

*DI32 stands to brew tea. E2 looks through her notebook.*

[DI32]: Tell me about your faction. I understand you were placed in Erudite back in 2350? What have you found, looking closer at your companions.
[E2]: Thanks. *E2 sips her drink, considering. DI32 sits down.* They're smart, obviously. I can't believe others haven't noticed it before, though. Director, why didn't they tell us that the Chicago District dislike Divergence? They seem to actively hunt them— I fear I am in danger. *E2 recoils from her drink. She smiles.* Do you have any sugar?

*DI32 stands to retrieve sugar, leaving the room. E2 lingers on a page in her notebook, frowning. DI32 returns.*

[E2]: If it weren't for my training, I would be dead. It's best if we take all the Divergents we can find and evacuate them. A few weeks prior, E1 was discovered. He was taken in the night, untraceable. Divergents are in grave danger in Erudite. Especially since they seem to be developing a mind control serum — it's already actively used amongst the Amity to keep them passive.
[DI32]: E2, I am under specific orders to assign you to Amity. Given the fate of E1, you and E3 will be transferring at the next choosing ceremony. It takes place in late June, yes? You must continue your assignment, tracking Divergents and leading them to the free path.
[E2]: Yes, but— Director, isn't this cruel? We are trapping people. Shouldn't we at least give them a choice, whether they want to live in the cities or amongst Central? Surely then we can nurture Divergents freely, and develop more genetically pure people? What will happen, if the experiment succeeds and the city shuts down. They are all people.
[DI32]: That is not your concern, E2. You know why we must keep it this way. Divergence develops under extreme pressure. Just look at you— dozens of generations of genetic manipulation and all it took for you to reach 85% was the attack on your refugee camp to reveal that.

*E2 looks down, discarding her drink. DI32 removes the electrodes from E2's temples, revealing her current vitals.*

[DI32]: In fact, my readings show here that after the death of E1, your mindset has upped itself to 89%. *DI32 rests her hand over E2's own comfortingly.* This is why we do what we do, E2. If we release these people, war will be upon us again. You are doing the right thing.
[E2}: *Hesitates. Voice lowers to a whisper.* It just doesn't feel like the right thing. *E2 clears her throat and stands.* I understand my new assignment, Director. I'll inform E3. Thank you for your time, I will do as told.
[DI32}: *Nods.* Remember, E2, to be kind we must be cruel.

END OF INTERVIEW.

"WHAT'S OUT THERE?"
FOUR GRINS, CANINES SHARP.
"MONSTERS."
THE TRIGGER CLICKS. ITS DARK.