12 . The calm before the storm

"Hello" she said entering "A table for two please"

A little man dressed in blue from head to toe smiled at us and pointed at a small table in the corner of the room . It was a cozy place with colored light bulbs hanging from the ceiling and comfy cushions spread around the tables . I loved coming here with Charlotte when she was little, it was one of the few places she could go to without having anxiety and panick attacks because it was so calm and quiet . I remember coming here with my parents and her for her tenth birthday, she was so happy she talked about it for weeks after that .

"So, what's up ?" Ayla spoke as she sat in front of me the lights reflecting on her face .

"Well, nothing really..." I was so stressed I could hear my brain telling me to quit and just go home .

"Come on I'm sure your life is more exciting than you think" she smirked at me and it made my whole self melt as ice cream on a sunny day .

"Umm...I..." I was trying so hard to appear the most normal I could -which was already complicated under normal circumstances- that I could barely articulate any word "Oh yeah there's something"

"Tell me" she just said looking at me like my life was really interesting .

"Well I think I'm gonna drop literature and go to art school" I said all that so fast I wasn't sure she understood a single word .

"Oh that's amazing ! You know which school you'll apply to ?" she asked leaning a bit over the table .

"Umm I-I have a few in mind but I'm not sure yet" I said begining to relax a bit as our chat went on .

We ordered hot chocolates while talking about college, family and friends . It felt amazing to be able to open to someone else than Leah, she was my bestfriend but sometimes it's easier to confide in people we know less even if I kept the biggest part of my life secrets for now . Besides, Ayla was so supportive of everything, she was so enthousiastic about art and she thought -just like Mrs.Gailor- that I should follow my dreams instead of staying where I don't feel like I belong . It was so easy being around her that time was flying, after two hours she had to go home but I could've spend the night here without any problem .

"Well, that was great we should do this more often" she smiled as we were walking to the parking lot .

"Yeah we definitely should" I replied rubbing my hands a large smile on my face "God it's freezing"

"It is, you should go home quickly before you catch a cold" she said her voice full of kindness .

"And you too" I smiled "You have your car right?"

"Oh actually I wal-"

"Hi baby, need a ride?"

This voice came to my ear like a sharpened knife . He couldn't be here, not now . I was dreaming or rather having a nightmare . But if my earring could deceive me my eyes couldn't . He was leaning against a black Tesla a cigarette between his lips his arms crossed on his chest . What a fucking cliché .

"Dean?" Ayla's voice was so low I could barely hear her "What are you doing here ?"

"Well I'm picking up my girlfriend" he smirked . I was gonna be sick .

"Yeah thanks, that I know but how do you know I'm here ?"

"I asked your friend umm what's her name..." he was snapping his fingers as if this simple move could bring back his memory "Oh yeah Claire"

"You ask- wait why? You could've just ask me" she was obviously struggling to stay calm but her clenched fists were betraying her, at least for those who could really see her .

"Well I did but missy does not pick up her phone"

"Missy?" I whispered but my whisper got lost in the cold night just as I was lost in this awful moment .

"Wha- you you didn- oh..." she pulled out her phone and looked at the screen where three notifications were hanging "okay you did call me"

"See? I was just making sure you were okay" he had this expression on his face that made me want to scream, he was disgusting .

"That's... that's nice..." she said . The girl I was with a few minutes ago -the one who was filled with joy and willing to change the world- seemed to have completely disapeared . She looked at me with this smile that said 'I have to go but I don't really want to' before walking towards this thing she called her boyfriend who smacked a kiss on her lips like he was challenging me to do the same .

"Bye umm... what's your name again ?" he asked as if this question could make me fall down and lose the game .

"Aimee Queen" I replied not letting anger show through as I took a few steps back "Bye"

I saw Ayla mouthing a 'bye' to me as she climbed into his car the usual brightness enlightening her eyes having completely vanished . I couldn't keep my eyes off his car . I wanted to be with her, to make sure she was okay, to be able to tell her that she had the choice to go with him or not . She was not happy, she was not okay with him, she was playing this part again, this part that had and that will never fit her  .

________________________________________________________________
<3