Chapter 10: Evesdrop

"Why don't you tell me what's on your mind Ed."

Jasper stares at his reflection in the full length mirror in the posh tailors shop in the centre of town. The suit looked immaculate. Pitch black in colour, virtually identical with his dark hair, with a dash of the crushed red silk tie disappearing into the grey waistcoat underneath against the crisp white shirt. "Looking sharp." Ed comments as he approaches from behind in more or less the identical suit, with the slightly more understated red silk tie, neatly knotted around his neck.

"I look like a mafia boss." Jasper furrows his brow at the visual, angling his head from left to right, as he checks out the aesthetic.

"I guess that means I'm second in command." Ed laughs as he pats Jasper on the shoulder from behind as their eyes briefly meet in the mirror. "You look smokin' and that's me saying that as a straight guy." He adds.

The comment causes Jasper's lips to tug at a small smile. He briefly wondered what Thomas would think of him dressed like this.

"What are you smiling at?" Ed questions when he sees that moment of contentment in his eyes.

Jasper takes a hand to the knot of his tie, adjusting it a little as he stands up a little straighter. "Beth. So, do you think she would like this look?"

"You can do no wrong in her eyes." Ed says with a shake of his head. "How do you feel about it?"

Jasper straightens the jacket as he again adjusts his stance in front of the mirror. "Honestly it's uncomfortable. I'm used to sweat pants and shorts, but I guess you gotta conform to type." He sighs, looking a moment longer at this version of himself, before deciding he had seen enough. "It's fine. She will like it ' He says decisively as he walks away from the mirror, giving Ed the room to preen himself in front of his own reflection.

Ed cards his fingers through his hair, a shade lighter than Jasper's but just as thick. The style is very similar. Beth had sometimes joked about them looking like long lost brothers. Ed thought it was amusing. Even played on it, but Jasper didn't see the resemblance. He said Ed was too soft to be a true Jones. His heart was soft, his nature forgiving. All things Jasper wasn't or didn't come to him easy. Jasper even wondered why Beth hadn't gone with Ed when they met her during the spin class Ed was running at the gym. He knew then and there that he would never be able to understand the complexities of a woman's mind. Good girls never went for the good guys. Ed was a good guy, Honest, loyal, trustworthy. Jasper was the one with the past. The past she only knew a fraction of.

***

Jasper hangs the last piece of the suit back on the hanger, with a well suited male in the shop taking it away for the next time he would need it, he assumes the dress rehearsal. It's then he feels the buzzing of his phone in his sweats. He pulls it from the pocket, half expecting it to be Beth, wanting more wedding demands from him, but is surprised to see an unsaved number. "Hello?"

"Jas..."

Jasper instantly feels his heart beat a fraction faster at the sound of the familiar voice. A voice he had longed to hear in the past, but once again, it was out of time. "So you do know how to call. I had always wondered." He tries to sound disinterested at the sound of the male's voice in his ear, coming from out of the blue. The line goes quiet. Thomas on the other end suddenly felt like maybe this wasn't a good idea after all. Why was he choosing to torchure himself over a man who didn't want him anymore? "What can I do for you Tom?"

The question jolts Thomas into speaking, possibly without thinking. "I need your help."

"My help?" Jasper sounds surprised. "You do know I have a wedding to plan."

"I know, sorry, just forget it..." Thomas is about to end the call when he hears a hurried reply.

"Hang on... wait. What do you need help with?" The intrigue in him wants to know what he has to say.

"Grandpa's house. I'm moving in but it's a mess." Thomas begins.

"And you want me to help you clean up?" Jasper snorts a laugh. "Why? Why should I help you? What the fuck have you done for me over the past few years?"

Thomas closes his eyes and braces himself. He needed to be honest. If what he had pledged to himself, to be a good friend to Jasper. He had to start afresh. "I had my reasons. I know I messed up. I realise that now, but back then over the summer you were the one who was lost, you know it and I helped you. You can't deny that."

"You helped yourself." Jasper bites back."

Jasper can hear the heavy sigh down the phoneline."That's the point Jasper. That's the whole point. I overstepped the mark. I shouldn't have taken advantage. I was stupid ..."

"Don't say that Tom, you didn't. We both play a part. What I felt for you was real. Are you telling me you didn't feel the same?" Jasper couldn't believe he had to ask. Those memories. All that they shared, felt so real to him. Had he been fooled?

"Jasper, I wanted you so much. I missed you every day..."

"Then why Tom? Why didn't you come back?" He needed to know so bad.

"Because I was scared ok? I was scared you were confusing your feelings for me with finding out you like guys. I was scared you would wake up one day and regret it. I was scared you would hate me. Then as time went by, I felt like I had no right to return. I couldn't demand anything from you. And now here you are. Getting married, having a kid." Thomas finds himself laughing. If nothing more than to mask the pain of his broken heart.

Jasper sighs, for the first time it felt like his anger was being lifted to make way for some kind of understanding. "You got it wrong Tom. You got it so wrong. My feelings never changed."

"And now?" Thomas asks it. The question which answered either way would give him pain.

Jasper rests his head against the changing room mirror, his voice sounding a little solemn. I am getting married. Because you are an idiot."

"How many times do I have to point out that I'm an idiot!" Thomas says with amusement.

"I think you have a few more in you." Jasper grins.

They just enjoy the comfortable silence in the line, only broken by Thomas' heavy sigh. "I know you have moved on, but I want to make up for the time I wasted. I want to be there for you as a friend. Fun uncle Tom to your offspring. Everyone needs a fun uncle right?"

"Jesus Tom, now you are going overboard" Jasper laughs ..."ok."

"What?"

"I said Ok... I'll help you. It may be just the distraction I need from the wedding overkill." Jasper says with a chuckle.

"Fantastic!" Thomas smiles widely. "I have missed you Jas."

"I've missed you too Tom. Look, I gotta go. Speak soon." Jasper ends the call. He stares at the phone with a smitten look on his face.

"Who's Tom?" Ed says, as Jasper looks up, to see his friend, leaning against the doorway of the changing room, with his arms folded.

"Uh...an old friend." Jasper says, quickly tucking his phone back into the pocket of his sweats.

"A friend?" Ed says, his mind thinking back to what parts of the conversation he had heard.

"Yes. A friend. "Are you jealous I have more than one friend? '' Jasper laughs, to try to cover up the potential awkwardness of what Ed may or may not have heard.

"Depends on who that friend is to you." Ed says as he looks at Jasper with a serious look.

Jasper takes a step towards Ed. He has a slightly taller frame as he looks down at the other male. "Why don't you tell me what's on your mind Ed."

Ed looks up at Jasper, he feels a little intimidated by the action. He was well aware of Jasper's fiery nature, but had never been in the line of fire before. "You are lucky to have Beth Jasper. Just remember that."

Jasper's stare becomes sharp as he glares at Ed, "I know. I'm very lucky." He answers back.

"I'm glad you do." Ed breathes out, daring to pat Jasper on the shoulder before turning and walking away.