Chapter 29: Confrontation

"You're brave. I'll give you that."

Ed feels a panic settle in his bones. What was Thomas implying? Was he actually trying to come onto him? The mere suggestion causes him to lash out. He pushes Thomas back with full force in the chest. "What's your fucking problem?" 

Thomas takes a step back, he holds up his hands in defence, laughing at the reaction he had gotten from Ed. "Woah there. I'm just playing. Didn't Jasper tell you I like to play?" 

"You're sick you know that?" Ed shouts, loud enough for the bartender to come over. 

"Hey, what's the issue?" He says doing his best to lean over the bar between them. 

"Tell him Ed. What's the issue?" Thomas stays cool as he calmly repeats the question. 

Ed looks at Thomas and then at the bartender. "Fuck this." Ed grunts as he turns his back on Thomas, only to see Jasper approaching. 

"What's going on?" Jasper says a little breathless as he stands inbetween the pair. 

"He's a fucking psycho. He was coming onto me." Ed pokes a finger at Thomas. 

"In your dreams." Thomas laughs. 

"What the fuck did you say Tom?" Jasper looks at the man, trying his best to hide his fear of any truth coming out. 

"What?" Thomas says with innocence. He asked me what we did during our down time at the farm. I was just gonna show him…..I guess He's not a fan of skimming stones." Thomas mumbles the last part. He forces his head down to mask the urge to snort out a laugh. 

"That's not what you meant." Ed insists. "I know you're gay." 

"Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not, or maybe, it's none of your fucking business." Thomas says, finally getting a little more serious. 

"Is this what this is about Ed? Is this why you suggested here?" Jasper now stands next to Thomas as they both stare at Ed. 

He begins to feel outnumbered. "Jas, let me explain." He begins. 

"Save it." Jasper steps forwards. "I suggest you take a walk". They stare at each other. 

Ed stays in that position for as long as he dares. He voices a small chuckle. "I already have my answer." He says as he looks a little to the left of Jasper to Thomas. 

"Are you threatening us?" Jasper gets right into Ed's face, causing the bartender to swiftly move from around the bar.

"Ok, break it up!" His muscular arms get in between the pair in order to push them apart. Thomas watches on as the pair split, trying not to get distracted by the sheer volume of the guy's muscles. Ed finally backs off, with a look of satisfaction on his face, as opposed to Jasper's fretful one. 

"Can I go back to my job now?" The bartender voices.

"We're fine." Thomas reassures. 

 Jasper doesn't take his eyes from Ed until he is out of sight. He exhales a heavy breath before he turns back to Thomas, who was casually sipping at his beer as if nothing had ever happened. "Why don't you spell it out next time. He knows. He fucking knows something." 

"And what if he does?" Thomas is quick to reply. "The guy's a dick. Plus he's trying to be you for some reason. Maybe he has a thing for Beth." 

Jasper grabs at Thomas' upper arms. "Are you listening to me? He knows something is going on between us. He will tell her." 

Thomas just looks at Jasper, his expression not so playful as a moment ago. "Jas. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of hiding. I don't want to be just your friend." He looks over to Jim's table. The man had somehow acquired a lap dance and was completely unaware of what he was meant to be looking out for. He once again looks back at Jasper. "  You know what I want. It's time to decide what you want." He pushes past Jasper, knocking his shoulder as he passes. 

Jasper looks up at his uncle, who annoyingly was now looking his way. He gestures towards his throat, causing Jasper to eye roll as he grabs his uncle's pint from the bar and takes it to him. "Where's Tom?" He asks as Jasper sits down. Jasper just shrugs as he pulls his beer towards him. He turns to look at the stage. He just needed this moment of nothingness. No Beth, no Ed, no Thomas. He just wanted to feel numb. 

***

Thomas heads through some double doors, trying to find the nearest exit. He needed air. Time to reflect upon what he was asking of Jasper. Doubting whether it was even his right to ask for such a thing. To ask him to leave a stable home, to leave a woman carrying his child, for him. What could he offer Jasper other than his heart? And now he had caused a rift between him and his best friend. 

He finally makes his way outside to a  quiet courtyard through a side door. The air felt cool against his warm skin. He lets his back lean against the wall as he looks up to the night sky, with it's orange hue. He just wanted to forget everything. Just for 5 minutes. 

The sound of the door once again opening ends his moment alone. The male behind the bar steps outside and heads for the wall opposite and begins to pull a cigarette from a packet in his hand with his mouth. Thomas continues to watch as the man takes a lighter to the tip, igniting the flame as the white stick sparks up. 

He takes in his first drag as his body rests back against the wall like a heavy weight. It's only now that he realises he is not alone. "Oh…. Y'know this is staff only." He says, seeing how Thomas was stood watching him as if unseen. 

Thomas pulls away from the wall. "Sorry, I didn't realise. I'll go."  He begins to head towards the door in which he had come through. 

"Wait... You're the guy." The man gestures with his cigarette filled hand. 

"What guy?" Thomas says, turning back around to look a the man. 

"The one at the bar causing a scene. You are lucky you don't get punched in the face coming onto guys like that. Especially in a place like this." 

"Yeah." Thomas laughs at the sentence. "Well it wouldn't be my first rebuff by the fist." 

"You're brave, I'll give you that." The man admits." 

"Brave?" Thomas repeats. 

The man takes a final drag from his cigarette, only half smoked, he lets it drop to the floor before he stubbs it out with his foot. He takes a step towards Thomas, causing Thomas to step back in surprise. "Yes, brave. I mean you don't always know people's intentions, what's on their mind." The man takes another step forwards, backing Thomas against the wall. "You could really put yourself in danger."

He feels paralysed as the man begins to cage him. Thomas, the man who had a smart answer for everything, needed to pull something out of the bag now more than ever. "Well…I think maybe on this occasion perhaps we are not on the same page." He finds the strength to move his frozen muscles from the wall, but is again halted by the man who seemed to anticipate his move. 

"Ah come on. Don't be a spoil sport. Guys like you just like to tease but when it's the other way around..." He grins as he slowly presses his body against Thomas'…